Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sparking on oil saw blade  (Read 2170 times)

Eric686

sparking on oil saw blade
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:42:38 AM »

I get a lot of sparks from my blade when cutting agates, is this just the nature of the beast or is my feed rate too fast that is creating the sparks? Are they dangerous with the oil as a coolant?

edgarscale

Re: sparking on oil saw blade
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:59:23 AM »

this is a first for me.   i've never heard of anyone having sparks. i'm guessing it's a bad thing.  i have no solution for you but to stop until someone in the forum gives you a better solution.  a fire is a bad thing all around. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »

i always have sparks, its no biggie.
just keep the oil levels up in the saw.
the sparks are more noticable in dark. i like watching it actually.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:21:58 AM »

It is pretty common, most people never notice it unless they watch the saw at night.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »

Watch when you cut some really clear and hard agate. Some blades produce quite a light show. I have never heard of any saws catching fire from this, not even the heavy mist. Saw oil has a pretty high flashpoint.

Kaljaia

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »

Yeah I cut at dusk sometimes and know where the blade is by the sparks through the clear agate. Got a cool video of it once. It's nature of steel + stone (flint & steel are the age-old firestarter, after all!) Another reason I use refined mineral oil for lubricant- the stuff doesn't catch fire very easily.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »

I can agree with nearly everything said to this topic, but . . . in my eyes the more you can do to reduce the sparks the better. In part they bespeak heat which is bad for the blade.  I believe I see more sparks when the feed is not exactly straight with the line of cut (i.e. the rock is being twisted). As long as you are using straight mineral oil or its derivatives (baby oil included), there's minimal fire risk, but for those who use other mixtures like kerosene or ??? I wouldn't want to try to predict what could not happen.  Feed slow, feed straight, and keep the lubricant level adequately high and you probably will see fewer sparks. Just my thinking. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

I use my tile saw cooled with water after dark at times. With translucent agate you can get quite a light show. I use very cheap blades so I am not very concerned but with a standard issue expensive blade I would try  the suggestions to minimize the occurrence to be on the safe side.

edgarscale

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »

i have never noticed sparks.  i have never read about it sparking and i have read over 500 lapidary journal books and others.  this is a first for me.  i am really glad that if/when i do it should be relatively okay.  i'm also happy that the forum does have this vast amount of experience and shares this knowledge willingly.  i'm still going to keep a better eye on it though.  i will have to reorganize my work shop a little.  hubby and i do wood and stone carving in there also.  i'm thinking dust and sparks.....   :icon_scratch:

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Eric686

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »

Thanks for all the replies,  I do have my saw outside on a covered porch so sometimes the lighting is a little low cutting after work and the evening meal. I am working on getting a little better light in the area which would help with polishing also.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:24 PM »

What you are observing is a piezoelectric effect from quartz crystals.  All quartz crystals will build an electrical charge when pressure is applied. If the pressure is sufficient it will spark.  Larger crystals and courser abrasive will increase the effect.  The effect is used to good effect in butane lighters.

Eric686

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 05:16:02 AM »

What you are observing is a piezoelectric effect from quartz crystals.  All quartz crystals will build an electrical charge when pressure is applied. If the pressure is sufficient it will spark.  Larger crystals and courser abrasive will increase the effect.  The effect is used to good effect in butane lighters.

Love learning new stuff thanks,  I looked up this site below for just a little more info and found a short list of material that would do spark when cutting and grinding:

"There are many materials, both natural and man-made, that exhibit a range of piezoelectric effects. Some naturally piezoelectric occurring materials include Berlinite (structurally identical to quartz), cane sugar, quartz, Rochelle salt, topaz, tourmaline, and bone (dry bone exhibits some piezoelectric properties due to the apatite crystals, and the piezoelectric effect is generally thought to act as a biological force sensor). An example of man-made piezoelectric materials includes barium titanate and lead zirconate titanate."

http://www.nanomotion.com/piezo-ceramic-motor-technology/piezoelectric-effect/ 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 50 queries.