Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beading question  (Read 1508 times)

Bluetangclan

Beading question
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:14:54 AM »

I have a question on beading since there isn't a general beading section and I am not adding a tutorial. I am doing an accent necklace with hanging blocks of stone(more rectangular actually) with 2mm holes and I am trying to figure out how to finish the metal part of it. I am guessing I need a 1mm silver chain and am thinking a bigger chain on either side with some sort of clasp between the two ends of bigger chain.

What do I do to connect the two chains and connect the clasps? I have only done wire work in the past on Viking weave. I think that might be a little too obvious on something I want the stones to be the focus of. I currently do not have access to equipment to be doing soldering.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Beading question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »

Can you post a picture of your piece?  It sounds like you're just going to need to use jump rings to connect the chains.  Amanda is the beading queen and she may have some suggestions for you.
Robin

Bluetangclan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »

At work so no pics of the rocks but essentially just 6-8 small rectangle columns of rock I made from a slab with a 2mm hole through them from side to side near the top. They will sit side by side and just dangle. I might put small silver spheres I picked up in between each or I might not, Ill have to see which looks better. I am thinking I will need a stronger chain than a 1mm for the rest of it. I will have a look at jump rings.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:04:30 AM »

Ok, I have a better visual now.  You may also want to look at a neck wire instead of chain, since you drilled them side to side.  You can also use spacer beads between the stones to separate them.

See here:  http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/?keywords=neck+wire

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/beads?keywords=spacer%20bead&sortby=bestmatch&engine=google&campaign=[adl]+[non-brand]+category+-+beads+-+miscellaneous+(exact)&adgroup=beads+-+spacer&keyword=spacer+beads&kwid=94412555x40203956316x760360558
Robin

Bluetangclan

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »

Whatever friction clasps are, I didn't see any that allow for a 2mm bead to go over them. I might have to see if I can wallow the holes out slightly. I think 3mm holes might be too big for structural integrity.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »

Here's one:  http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h202356fn

Google neck wires and you'll get loads of places to explore.  Search for whatever material you want to use (silver plated, gold plated, sterling, stainless steel, etc.)
Robin

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »

I'm jumping in here kind of late.  Sorry.
That said while I have a general idea of what you are trying to do, a picture would be most helpful if you have one.
Since I've done a wide range of beading techniques and finishing techniques for larger gemstone beads, I can probably lend a hand if I have a better visual of what we are working with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.