Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of Whatzats  (Read 1307 times)

John Robinson

A couple of Whatzats
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »

I thought the round one was an abalone pearl at first but it is very hard. The blue crystals are the color of azurite but shaped like flourine crystals [ Invalid Attachment ] dRenderedContent-D31C0B01-5647-4B3E-A28D-3E723169C8CF.JPG
*RenderedContent-D31C0B01-5647-4B3E-A28D-3E723169C8CF.JPG (84.82 kB . 1136x852 - viewed 307 times)RenderedContent-D31C0B01-5647-4B3E-A28D-3E723169C8CF.JPG
*RenderedContent-D31C0B01-5647-4B3E-A28D-3E723169C8CF.JPG (84.82 kB . 1136x852 - viewed 307 times)

Jhon P

Re: A couple of Whatzats
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »

The pics are a little blurry. The blue looks like fluorite to me too. The round looks like snakeskin agate to me.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »

I think the blue is lazurite crystals on a white calcite base.  Lazurite is the main mineral component of lapis lazuli, a rock.

Snakeskin agate may be a good guess on the other one but I've never seen pink snakeskin.  It may be a piece of Texas Springs, NV pink limb cast -- I've seen some with that surface texture.

John Robinson

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

Thanks!
I am sorry about the quality of the photos, reducing the file size so I could post seems to have made a bad photo worse. I've ordered a couple of lenses and I'll wait to post anymore '
Whatzats' until after I get them. The white matrix is not calcite so I guess Lazurite is right too bad the little crystals are so cloudy but it is still a nice little thumbnail specimen

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »

I have collected snakeskin agate near Austen Nevada that looks pink. It has a red color just under the rind that makes it look pink

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »

Pink snakeskin from Rome, Oregon as well. Beautiful stuff and I have collected it there myself.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »

Good to know about pink snakeskin.  The only kind I've seen is white and various shades of grayish white.  I believe mine came from the Burns, OR area.

rocks2dust

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »

Pink snakeskin from Rome, Oregon as well. Beautiful stuff and I have collected it there myself.
I agree. Comes naturally in pinkish, grayish and orangish. The color doesn't always go very deep, however. The deposits west of Rome are just so distant from anywhere, or I'd get a bunch more to scatter around the house on the off chance that texture might scare away pocket gophers. For now, there's a real snake and owl out there who take turns hunting them.

John Robinson

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »

Snakeskin agate fits as the guy I inherited it from was from Logsden OR. He might found it hinself rather purchasing it. What is the best way to work this agate or is it really worth messing with and is really just something to add to a rock collection as an unusual variety of agate?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.