Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carey, Idaho  (Read 2126 times)

Sandsave

Carey, Idaho
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »

Our local rock club is planning on a trip to Carey, Idaho in a couple weeks. There is someone there local to guide us out. I've heard mixed reviews of the area, some are good some are its picked over. I'm hoping the forum members will enlighten me, with their knowledge of the area.
I could use maps, feedback or just info of trips forum members have made.
Carey is a 3 1/2-4 hour drive for me, and I don't want to go if I'm spinning my wheels.

Any information will help me decide.

Thanks in advance

Sandsave

yukonjade

Re: Carey, Idaho
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »

I was there in the 80s and found some seam agate with green stringers in clear agate,also some pet wood near wood river.We surface hunted and it was scarce at that time,we camped at a reservoir I don't remember the name of that had trout in it. The landscape is rolling sage brush hills.
 Take in craters of the moon national monument while you are that way the astronauts trained there,also there was an opal mine in Spencer where you could fee dig.

I realize this is old info but its a start. :LOL.    Yukonjade

Sandsave

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »

I having a hard time deciding to go or not, on one hand I always like to try new areas, on the other I don't want to burn a good weekend of rockhounding. I'll see if I get more feedback from other members.
Thanks

Rockoteer

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »

There was a member on this forum that hounded there a lot.  catmandewe sold him a saw.  Maybe he can remember.  Not sure if the fellow is around anymore.  He hounded that area with his wife.
Hope this will help.
My Dad was born in Picabo (pronounced Peek a boo) which is very near there.  That fact will definitely not help.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »

There is stuff there if you get out and look. All the stuff close to a road has been picked up but if you dont mind getting a ways from the road you will find some good stuff.

The reservoir is Little Wood River Reservoir

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

Orrum

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »

Take ur club to Tonys and rockhound his place!!!   Contact him, I am sure he will set something up. Hundreds of tons of msterial!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 34 queries.