Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to wheatguy and his Pietersite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian Alexandrite  (Read 328 times)

mearic71

• Peach Photo
Russian Alexandrite
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:55:45 AM »

A friend of mine is looking for a cut stone. Russian Alexandrite. Does anyone a
have the name of a good dealer I could give her.
Thanks
Mike

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
Re: Russian Alexandrite
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »

Hope your friend has lots of money!  All alexandrite is expensive and authenticated Russian material usually brings a big premium.  Alex also comes from Brazil, India, Africa and Ceylon and it all exhibits varying degrees of color change.  Finding a stone with credible Russian provenance may be something of a challenge.  I have some small well-cut Indian stones for sale if your friend should be interested.

The one dealer I currently know of that offers alexandrite said to be of Russian origin is https://awesomegems.com/alexandrite.html#top

mearic71

• Peach Photo
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

I have been looking around and I see what you are saying. Very pricey. I will let her know and see what her budget is before I do to much digging.
Thanks
Mike

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »

Mike, tell her to beware of synthetic alexandrite which is sometimes sold as "Russian" because it's made I Russia.  A few unscrupulous sellers don't make a distinction between natural and synthetic Russian stones in their sales pitches.  The synthetic alex that is virtually chemically identical to the genuine chrysoberyl variety was first made in the U.S. and now is made in many places, sometimes for use in lasers.

Any large alex is suspect unless the price is also huge, and I mean HUGE -- the market was saturated in the early part of the last century with a type of man-made corundum that shows a color change due to doping with vanadium.  While such stones show strong color change, it's not the alexandrite green-to-reddish change but more of an amethyst to pinkish color .  A simple refraction test distinguishes them.  If you know what colors to look for you can do it by eye alone.  Just because an "alexandrite" is old doesn't mean it's not a corundum simulant -- they were first made in the 1890s.

Simulants of that kind are commonly sold as genuine alex in tourist destinations like Mexico, Alexandria, Egypt; and elsewhere.   

mearic71

• Peach Photo
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Thank you that was helpful. I will pass it on. i think she is going to wait and save up. It is a little more pricey than she originally thought. plus it will give her a lot more time to see what's out there.
Thanks again
Mike

crashoveroide

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »

Hi,
Usually Russian Alex can be extremely expensive. I still believe some of the e-commerce sites have too high retail prices.
If you don't care too much about the origin you better of finding a Ceylon or Madagascar origin Alexandrite for USD 1000-1500 for a 1 Carats stone.

Regards,
Nike

mearic71

• Peach Photo
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »

Thanks Nike. My friend decided to wait awhile.

crashoveroide

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:54:48 AM »

@mearic71

Hope you friend mange to find what they are looking for.  :hello2:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.