Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old rock saw  (Read 1609 times)

robirdman

old rock saw
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:24:50 AM »

I have an old 14" diamond saw that swings down.  I had a fire and water damage from hoses in 2010 and everything was put into a facility for storage and restoration for a year.  I now trying to see what I can recover as usable again, and I am just trying to figure out the brand of the saw, as I see no markings.  Googling for images of saws, I found a perfect match but it had no info.  Blade is Raytech, but I don't know if the saw is.  It works, but my memory needs refreshing on how to use it, mainly regarding the vise.

charles

Re: old rock saw
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 03:53:11 AM »

Looks like an Lortone LS14 saw. The vise is on the left side as you look from the front. If you could post a picture of the saw head on looking towards the back at a slight downward angle I might be able to tell if all of the vise is there.

Charles

robirdman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:23:24 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply.  What a great forum!  A vise is there, not sure how to use though.  As the slot is far away, do I remove the plate between the slot and the vise to cut closer. And I am wondering especially about how to assemble and use what seems to be a slab holder, that was with the saw when received back from the restoration center. I hadn't used any equipment in decades and forgot just about everything.  I'll try to attach the 2 shots, though I kept losing my entire post with attempts on my minisonic post.

robirdman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:27:24 AM »

Thanks to your tip, I found a video of someone using the Lortone 14" to cut a rock.  The plate is removed but it looks like they dopped a slab to a holder added to the vise.

robirdman

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:30:42 AM »

Looking again, I see that they seem to have some kind of slab holder, not dopped, in the vise.  I'm wondering if all the parts of mine are there and how it assembles.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:40:59 AM »

Have never seen the Covington parts before. If they were used with the Lortone saw someone else might be able to help.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »

Here's a link to the LS 14 User Manual.  You should be able to tell if you have everything from this.

http://www.lortone.com/pdf/LS14_Instructions.pdf
Robin

robirdman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »

I hadn't noticed that it was a Covington vise till you pointed out.  Emailed them a picture, thanks.
Manual is very useful, thanks.

Kaljaia

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 05:57:32 PM »

Yeah that drop saw is identical to mine. If the capillary tubes and pump work, and the motor turns, looks like the rest of it is there. Seems to be a straightforward, simple saw as saws go. Mine has particle board inside the vice to help grip the rock, certainly helps keep things from scooting around. I'd recommend it, or wood blocks, if yours doesn't have them.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.