Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cremation Diamonds  (Read 2017 times)

rocks2dust

Cremation Diamonds
« on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

Came across this info on the Opalholic board: Cremation Diamond Report

Sounded like an interesting idea, until one considers that it makes no scientific sense.

ileney

Re: Cremation Diamonds
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »

I have a problem with this report itself because one thing it says is utter nonsense. It claims diamonds “burn and disappear” in housefires at 1600 degrees whereas other gems are just fine. That’s bunk. It’s the opposite. When I make something with metal clay, the tabletop kiln typically heats to about 1650. When I put small diamonds in the clay, assuming they aren’t deeply flawed, they usually come out looking the same as when they went in. In contrast, many other gemstones fall apart, change color drastically, lost all color, become cloudy or develop cracks. For this reason, you can find metal clay firing charts online telling you which stones can be safely fired both by torch firing, short intense open shelf kiln firing or longer, less intense firing, or firing in containers with media. NONE of the stones actually “burns up and disappears” at that temperature. That’s absurd.

rocks2dust

Re: Cremation Diamonds
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »

It claims diamonds “burn and disappear” in housefires at 1600 degrees whereas other gems are just fine. That’s bunk. It’s the opposite. When I make something with metal clay, the tabletop kiln typically heats to about 1650. When I put small diamonds in the clay, assuming they aren’t deeply flawed, they usually come out looking the same as when they went in.
Whether a diamond burns or not depends on whether there is a supply of oxygen to allow the carbon to oxidize/burn. Your kiln or torch may produce an anoxic environment, in which case carbon will not burn or scorch. Cremations take place in a high temp, high oxygen environment (required to ensure that the organics burn and what comes out of the chimney is clean).

The carbon atoms are packed tight, so diamond takes longer to burn through than, say, charcoal or a human body, but as insurers will tell you, diamonds do burn, partially or totally, in house fires which have far less oxygen-rich environments than crematoria.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 28 queries.