Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saddle mountains pet wood  (Read 1801 times)

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Saddle mountains pet wood
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »

I've never been out collecting any petrified wood before so me and a good buddy Cashmere made the 2 1/2hr trip over to eastern washington/vantage area by the famous saddle mountains just off of the Columbia river. We went off directions from the blm website which were easy peasy. Stopped at a few spots on the way up "R" road and poked around and saw no signs of wood. Made it up to the top and found a couple of very large holes that appeared to have been worked on for some time with small chips scattered all over but didn't look recently worked. We carried on for a few miles east on the ridge but it seemed like most of the digging was back towards the top where we first came to the top of ridge so we turned around and started making our way back. We found a spot that looked untouched so we decided to open a couple holes up. Found some small but decent pieces for the tumbler but nothing to write home about. After a hour or so of digging we hadn't come up with to much so we packed up and headed for a large hole we spyed earlier. In that hole was a very large piece of mixed bogwood that folks had been picking out so we followed suit and started exposing more of the log and breaking out nice chunks of good opalized wood between more less desirable "cooked" pieces and ash layers. I'd say we both ended up with about 15lbs of good opal material. Not exactly what I thought it was going to be like after hearing all sorts of crazy stories of giant logs laying everywhere and folks taking bulldozers and shit up there. It really seemed like most the area is unexplored by rockhounds or more likely that there are better spots than where we went or maybe the rockhounds in that area actually fill in their holes. Anyways here's some pictures of our finds from a nice warm breezy spring day in eastern Washington. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Saddle mountains pet wood
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »

It's checkerboard ownership with much of it private and off limits.I am disappointed that no scorpions tested you.

Sapphireminer

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »

Very nice pieces there should polish up good well done.
Dave

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »

Lovely stuff! Sounds like a successful hunt.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 29 queries.