Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: China trip 2018, in search of rocks  (Read 3143 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
China trip 2018, in search of rocks
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:29:36 PM »

Went on my annual trip to China in search of some yellow skinned nephrite like the one I found two years ago....
China 2018 search of stones by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Last year there was none to be had. This time round, there where nearly 30 sellers, yet the prices had gone up 15 to 20 fold. At first, I could not understand, but then, I went to the indoor-shops, and things became very clear. This type of nephrite has become incredibly popular, and could be had just about everywhere as finished product. I like it, but I do not have to have it. I'm not going to blow my budget on a single piece of stone......

Other visible trends this year: Amber holds strong and has now displaced virtually all agate offerings to outdoor stalls. Agate offerings hold strong too, yet I feel that there is more "enhanced" material on offer. Madagascar material is still strongly represented, but offerings like the one below have diminished in quantity.
There is a noticeable increase of agate carvings
And was told that what they call "Harlequin" is agate too.....
..... not jasper, as previously presumed
The use of that kind of agate has now surpassed the quantity of jade carvings in this market..

One other thing that seems to be coming strongly at this time, is pearls......
Turquoise on the other hand is on the way out. There are hardly any shops offering now.

So with nothing of interest (have to research Harlequin agate first before committing) on offer in the rough, I ended up with a few pieces of agate and I suspect a serpentine.

I think the pattern on the agate is shallow and colour has been achieved due to heating, so my plan is to cut into half sideways to preserve colour and pattern, and then carve the reverse in what I presume to be clear material.

The presumed serpentine, is the winner this year.

Have been after this material for a while, and price reversed from the nephrite I looked for. Was very expensive in the past, but found this piece at a steal. Don't know yet what to do with it (motive to carve), but something will come up to fit the pattern, i'm sure, in time.
Suggestions?
Anything not given, is lost.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: China trip 2018, in search of rocks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »

Always fun . Your wedding anniversary?

ileney

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:43:06 PM »

The agate with the shallow color looks like the material I bought a couple pieces of last year (supposedly out of Madagascar, I thought). If you cut it in half, leaving the color on the back, are you just using it as a sculpture? I can’t see quite how you’d set it if you aren’t grinding a flat into that area? I actually hadn’t decided what to do with mine yet.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:35:00 PM »

Always fun . Your wedding anniversary?

Yep, 29 years today. :) :) :L)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »

The agate with the shallow color looks like the material I bought a couple pieces of last year (supposedly out of Madagascar, I thought). If you cut it in half, leaving the color on the back, are you just using it as a sculpture? I can’t see quite how you’d set it if you aren’t grinding a flat into that area? I actually hadn’t decided what to do with mine yet.

Expect this to be the same.
Cut into half side-way, and carve into the flat back to create double-sided pendant. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 10:48:10 AM »

Congratulations !  45 wonderful years for the wife and myself , where did the years go ?

ileney

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »

Congratulations!

rocks2dust

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »

Yes, congratulations! Starting to think this marriage thing might work out :grin:

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »

Kurt,

I am heading to China in October. Any insight for rock shopping? I will be in several cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou, and Chongqing. Would love to get a piece of Nephrite or Jadeite. Thanks for any insight.
~Shain

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »

Kurt,

I am heading to China in October. Any insight for rock shopping? I will be in several cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou, and Chongqing. Would love to get a piece of Nephrite or Jadeite. Thanks for any insight.

Cant help much in this regard, but while you will likely find markets for rocks in every one of those cities, the jackpot for you should be in Suzhou, Jiangsu. That's where pretty much the best carvers in the industry are situated, and hence rough should be of quality for just about any pocket. I only know the area from hearsay as I have never actually been there. But good knowledgeable friends  have been there, and short of going to the source in Myanmar speak the praises for it.

The general rule, as always: ask you local companions for tips, and run for your life when they bring you to anything that smells of department-store or government founded......  Anything worthwhile for our interest, is to be found in small businesses. Anything close to industrial, takes the time to cheat as a first priority.............

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »

Thanks for the insight Kurt, very much appreciated.
~Shain

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 45 queries.