Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deer Creek w/ Frank  (Read 3929 times)

drnihili

Deer Creek w/ Frank
« on: April 13, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »

Frank was good enough to show me a spot to look for Jade today.  He had to leave about half way through.  The rocks to the upper left were gathered while he was still hounding, all those in the top group are jade, I think he found all but a couple small ones.  After he left, we switched to another, much larger bar upstream.  To my credit, to of the rocks in the sans-Frank group are jade, at least we're pretty sure they are.  The rest are just rocks that caught my eye for one reason or another.  Apparently my eyes are tuned to meta-stuff. 

Itsandbits

Re: Deer Creek w/ Frank
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »

nice finds:) You should have rockhounded his yard too :)
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

drnihili

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:19:51 PM »

I think that's recently been reclassified as the Frank Terrane.  The geologists are still puzzling over how all those deposits made it out to an island.

Minkos61

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »

I'm with you on that one Lloyd  :icon_cheers:
Ernie

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »

I think that's recently been reclassified as the Frank Terrane.  The geologists are still puzzling over how all those deposits made it out to an island.

Bwahaha!   :LOLOL: :LOLOL: :LOLOL:

It was a glacier named Frank.   :DRUNKS:

Itsandbits

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »

Bwahaha!   :LOLOL: :LOLOL: :LOLOL:

It was a glacier named Frank.   :DRUNKS:

Cracks me up LOL  :laughing6:
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »

I had to retreat at noon ( we started hounding around 8:30) because I was resting my arm pits on the crutches while walking a sure sign of real physical distress. I was also shaky and the combination can lead to falls and falling down among a welter of boulders is not wise , I have done it many times. We id many things most of which seemed to be disrupted oceanic cherts. We found much more jade than I had expected considering that the spot we visited is the number one jade collecting spot in Washington state and everyone knows it. I left as Jim meandered up the main rock bar and decided to return home as directly as possible. I made a hard left and drove on logging roads over the top of Frailey mountain and drove into a very wet wind storm coming off the ocean. It was 38 F when I reached home at 3 with a steady 40 mph wind and blinding rain. A bit spring like.Pictures later.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

Sounds like a fun day for the most part.  You have a nice haul there, it must have been a real treat hounding with Frank and getting to share his vault of knowledge.

Sorry you weren't feeling good Frank.  :(  I wish that, for even just one day, you could wake up and your body would be mended.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »

Three decent hours is gold especially as I thought I would never make it back there. I am proud that I didn't perish crossing the rotten abandoned railroad bridge across the river.

drnihili

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »

I need to cut into the two pieces of "jade" I found post-Frank and see if that's really what they are.  At one point Frank certified me as "jade-safe", or, as he put it "jade has nothing to fear when you're around."   :Worthy: :Worthy: :LOLOL:

Itsandbits

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »

I need to cut into the two pieces of "jade" I found post-Frank and see if that's really what they are.  At one point Frank certified me as "jade-safe", or, as he put it "jade has nothing to fear when you're around."   :Worthy: :Worthy: :LOLOL:
LOL well a good days collecting can make for some interesting stuff anyway

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »

Jim did fine and will do even better when we go to a creek where he will find a hundred pieces and then he can start the never ending journey of attempting to magically differentiate the good pieces from the bad jade when you can only take a few home because most are so big.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »

I didn't realize my daughter had put a point and shoot camera in the truck for me until I was about to drive away. You can barely see Jim on the gravel bar , one of the most famous collecting sites in Washington. I headed up the mountain but stopped to take a picture across and up the valley. Jim was far below with jade dreams, possibly chert dreams I suppose .

Itsandbits

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 06:38:47 AM »

nice to see you still have some snow on the mountains, our hills got a skiff the other night and the high mountains quite a bit more :)

drnihili

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »

nice to see you still have some snow on the mountains, our hills got a skiff the other night and the high mountains quite a bit more :)

A lot of that is new snow that will melt off quickly.  A late storm deposited a fair bit in the mountains and down to a couple thousand feet or so.  It's a nice bandaid on the low snowpack this year, but I expect everything below 3 or 4 k to melt off within a week or two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 51 queries.