Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experienced lapidary wanting to facet  (Read 4667 times)

sid_steinhaeufel

Experienced lapidary wanting to facet
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »

:WEEEE:Well, here goes.  I want to facet.  I have cut cabs for 30 plus years but I want to expand what I do.  SO, people who are experienced faceters, please give me ideas about what machine to buy.  I do not want to over or under buy.  This is not like a grinder that you replace wheels, bearings and maybe an induction motor.  I see issues with buying used machines.

So, please give me your opinions!!!!

Sid

Slabbercabber

Re: Experienced lapidary wanting to facet
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »

I think you might do better asking on one of the faceting forums.

Orrum

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 05:54:38 AM »

Find a club with faceted or go to a school. I learned at Quartzsite Az Gem and Lapidary. It's a lot of fun, slow snd tedious tho...

olgguy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 06:33:40 AM »

Most used faceting machines have not been used that much unless it came from a teaching school or shop. My own is a simple model by MDR. Some of the newer machines by other manufactures have a lot of adjusting gadgets and more complicated. One of these newer machines sold this past Saturday at an estate auction for $1400. The only thing I can think of that I would considered is the age of the machine , that would affect the drive belt. My machine is 30 years old, and no problems.

sid_steinhaeufel

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »

I have never seen your faceting machine brand before.  Is parts an issue with a machine that from an out of business company?  Do you have a preference on brands of machines?  I know a guy who uses an Ultra Tec but that is a lot of money to me.  Facette is out of business.  I am wary of imports because of service and part supply.  Facetron is looking good to me.

What would you look for in a faceting machine if you were buying?  Is there any reason where one would need an 8" lap?

Thanks,
Sid

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:47:58 AM »

Facetron is a very good machine.  I've never used one but know several fine cutters who do and they're very happy with it.  My impression is the Jarvi Company seems very responsive to customer needs.

There are a couple of other brands you might look into.  First, the Graves Mark XL, which sells for about $1,600 (discounted) plus shipping.  It's based on a design by Jon "Gearloose" Rolfe known for his Batt laps, and features a digital angle read-out.  Cutter I know consider it rock-solid and seem delighted with its design and reliability.  If I was replacing my present machine I think this is what I'd buy based on their recommendations.  There have been delivery problems with it however and I'd recommend looking into that situation before buying.  Some users say the best approach is to buy from a Graves dealer who may have machines in stock.

The other company I'd suggest checking out is Poly-metric.  The machines are in a higher price range (cheapest around $2,200) but users I know are very happy with machine quality and factory service. 

Bottom line: machine choice depends on many factors.  In faceting the machine is usually the cheapest aspect of the venture.  Good faceting rough is becoming more and more expensive, with some major producing countries (Nigeria and Tanzania) announcing they'll soon embargo exports of rough. 

If you want top pursue faceting as a hobby the Graves or Jarvi machines should do a great job.  If you plan on faceting professionally, that's another ball game.  Dealer service can be important.  If you're buying a mast machine it's also important to consider whether you'll want a right or left-handed model.  Good luck!   

sid_steinhaeufel

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

sid_steinhaeufel

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »

What about the Raytech Shaw?

metalsmith

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »

What about the Raytech Shaw?

Good kit but spins 6", I have heard from a guy that runs one.
8" discs offer nearly twice the area and aren't twice the price, so are generally considered a better investment, if you can cover the higher startup costs of an 8" machine.

sid_steinhaeufel

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »

I have ordered a Graves Mark 5XL.  I am waiting for it to ship to me.

metalsmith

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 01:20:17 AM »

I have ordered a Graves Mark 5XL.  I am waiting for it to ship to me.

Apparently there can be some waiting involved. Have you got it yet?

danointhenw

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »

Keep an eye out on Craig's list too.  A little over a year ago a friend started showing me the ropes on his Facetron and I started saving my nickles.  Then, I found an almost new one on Craig's list, it still wasn't cheap but it came with a BUNCH of goodies.  9 Laps, including a darkside, lots of decent rough, a 4"trim saw, transfer blocks and dops, etc.  Sometimes, you can find some great deals there.  Just type in "lapidary" in the search bar and check it on a regular basis.  Persistence pays!
I was hundreds of miles away I tell ya!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 46 queries.