Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apache chrysocolla  (Read 1137 times)

Tippin8609

Apache chrysocolla
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but after reading several posts decided it was a good place for information. I've been cabbing for about twenty five years, and have started a pretty good collection of rough over those years. I recently bought several pounds of apache chrysocolla. I remembered it coming out around 2000, but disappearing quickly. I've stabilized a few pieces with polybond, a few with hot stuff and a filler, but was wondering if anyone had experimented with other ways of stabilizing it. It is classic chrysocolla, undercuts, falls apart, etc. but oh my when one cooperates it is as stunning a cab as one could possibly ask for. The most difficult are the shattuckite/bright red cuprite. Appreciate any input, thanks Karen

Jhon P

Re: Apache chrysocolla
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »

I bought a couple of pounds last year. I have used xtal and bond optic with pretty good results

Tippin8609

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 05:28:44 AM »

Hi Jhon, thank you for the info. I imagine these are available at most lapidary supply? And do you use these on most of your other material that needs stabilizing also? Been working on peanut obsidian also, there's another one that can be problematic. Karen

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »

Hxtal you can get from an online glass supply company. It is thinner than bond optic.
Hxtal is about $50 for 4 oz.  bond optic I got from Highland park it was about $50 for 12 oz
You don't need much to stabilize slabs. I weigh it by grams on a jewlery scale when I mix it
Micheal Hoover has a tutorial you should be able to find it the log forum archives. If not I can tell you how I do it

Tippin8609

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »

Hi Jhon, still figuring out how to navigate the site. If it's not too much trouble I'd really like to know how you apply and mix the stabilizers. Cut a couple of the pieces I had stabilized with mixed results. Some great, some still pretty chippy with super soft areas even with the sides treated. Karen

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »

I am on my way out of town to go elk hunting. I will
Have to do it when I get back
In a week or two. Maybe someone else can help if not will do it when it get back

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »

Robin

Tippin8609

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »

Thanks to both Robin and Jhon. Jhon, good luck on your hunt! I am off to William Holland Lapidary school for a week of silversmithing and being surrounded by rockhounds from all over the country. For any of you who do not know of William Holland it is a school I have been attending for over 20 years. I've done at various times silver, wire wrap, opal cutting, and lapidary. This is just a few of the classes they offer and for anyone wanting a great week at a seriously affordable price this is the place. It is in North Georgia, the teachers are from all over the country who donate their time and skills to teach these crafts. Karen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.