Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My creations ~ thread  (Read 16779 times)

MurphyStone

Re: My creations ~ thread
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 05:02:28 AM »

The way you create the curvature is very impressive.

Did you create that fire bezel for the opal? I have never seen that bezel before. It’s another awesome piece.

No it is purchase and available on etsy is you look for firebezel

MurphyStone

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 05:47:46 AM »

Bridewell stone in pendant,  Winter Delight.

https://youtu.be/c3DnYCgJlWg

is there a way to embed videos on this forum, every tag I tried failed? 

Also another bridewell

Calico Agate

Fordite

unknown sagenite

jerrysg

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

Love the rings. My wife has done some elementary silversmith but I have yet to do any. The class I want is at the same time as my stint as a monitor in our cab lab. Anyhow, we have been examining your photos and can't figure out how you get from the step where the stone is clamped into the ring (I assume that's for the adhesive to cure?) to the finished ring. Could you share, please.

Jerry

I Just grind it out like you would any cab on wheels.  I have no idea if anything I do is normal or correct though as I am self taught, never taken a class or anything.  So there could be a better or more correct way.

Sorry, I was asking about the silver smithing process that takes the ring from the condition shown where the stone is set in the groove to the finished ring, not the stone shaping process.

Jerry

Jerry

ileney

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »

Thank you for the information on the firebezel.

All of your pieces are amazing! You have a very unique style.

MurphyStone

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »

Love the rings. My wife has done some elementary silversmith but I have yet to do any. The class I want is at the same time as my stint as a monitor in our cab lab. Anyhow, we have been examining your photos and can't figure out how you get from the step where the stone is clamped into the ring (I assume that's for the adhesive to cure?) to the finished ring. Could you share, please.

Jerry

I Just grind it out like you would any cab on wheels.  I have no idea if anything I do is normal or correct though as I am self taught, never taken a class or anything.  So there could be a better or more correct way.

Sorry, I was asking about the silver smithing process that takes the ring from the condition shown where the stone is set in the groove to the finished ring, not the stone shaping process.

Jerry

Jerry

Just a whole bunch of filing and polishing.  I cut off the excess inner wall, then file everything smooth and polish.  see if you can see these pictures https://www.facebook.com/pg/murphystonejewelry/photos/?tab=album&album_id=359464267829330 again I am self taught this could all be completely wrong by normal standards

MurphyStone

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:51 AM »

Thank you for the information on the firebezel.

All of your pieces are amazing! You have a very unique style.

Thanks appreciate it,  it is a fun escape from technology

MurphyStone

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2017, 05:41:45 AM »

So happy with how this piece turned out it was something I had never done before and not sure really how the idea even came to me other than seeing a piece of scrap wire on my bench.  These pictures are before final cleanup and polish.

Floating Rutilated Quartz with Diamond Accents. 

Click here for the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWu5ZwEWcc

I used my setting burs to cut the seats for the stone corners and luckily got it right to snap in the stone without breaking it. 

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2017, 06:32:56 AM »

Now that is cool!  What a great what to show off a piece of rutilated quartz.  I have a piece that needs to be carved/finished that is quite long that would benefit from a setting similar to what you did.  Can I steal your idea?
Robin

MurphyStone

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »

Now that is cool!  What a great what to show off a piece of rutilated quartz.  I have a piece that needs to be carved/finished that is quite long that would benefit from a setting similar to what you did.  Can I steal your idea?

Thanks,  Of Course glad it inspired someone,  I look forward to see what you do. 

ileney

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »

Ooh. Me too? Is it ok if I give something similar a try as well?I have a special piece I have been agonizing over and I think something similar in terms of technique could be the solution to setting it. Thank you so much for sharing. I LOVE it!

MurphyStone

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »

Ooh. Me too? Is it ok if I give something similar a try as well?I have a special piece I have been agonizing over and I think something similar in terms of technique could be the solution to setting it. Thank you so much for sharing. I LOVE it!

Please post what you do.  Look forward to it. 

MurphyStone

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »

I used 2x5mm sterling wire on this rutilated piece.  It seemed to have just the right amount of tension to snap the stone into after it was formed. 

For my next piece I will fill the drill holes on the outside where I used my setting bur on the inside for the main stone.  Wish I wouldn't have left them,  I still may go back and fill them.  Just kinda scared to keep popping the stone in and out and need to be sure the diamonds will be fine with the heat of the torch. 

Also should have done a nice inlay jump ring at the top but again will have to pop the main stone to solder it up.  eeeK

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »

Thanks!  Your ideas are all very creative.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.  Do you think the holes that you drilled to pop the stone in and out of would work if you didn't drill them all the way through the wire?  I think I will experiment with some scrap and see what happens.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

MurphyStone

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »

Thanks!  Your ideas are all very creative.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.  Do you think the holes that you drilled to pop the stone in and out of would work if you didn't drill them all the way through the wire?  I think I will experiment with some scrap and see what happens.   :icon_sunny:

Yes, but out of habit I just drilled all the way through.   I may go back and fill them with silver wire and solder it up on the outside.  I know this is possible because I had gotten one diamond pilot hole out of place and filled it to drill correctly. 

With a good bur set I am sure you could work the perfect notch to set.  I started flying blind and used drill bits before thing oh my setting bur would make a perfect seat for this. 

MurphyStone

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2017, 04:43:20 AM »

Buck 110 with Tiger / Hawk eye

First tried this 3 years back and wasn't happy with the results.  This came out a bunch better.

San Carlos Sagenite ~ man I wish I could get more of this stone.  This one is odd compared to the normal golden sprays. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 51 queries.