Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Jasp-agate  (Read 1316 times)

Stonemon

Unknown Jasp-agate
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »

I have been working up some material that my father or grandfather collected some time in the middle of the last century.
I cut up a small piece of jasp-agate and found what I think are pockets of calcite included in the rock.
The faces of the crystals flash nicely when you rotate to a certain angle and some of them show "rainbow" fractures.
Any ideas about where this might be from? Has anyone seen this before?  :dontknow:
Thanks,
Bill

Bill

Stonemon

Re: Unknown Jasp-agate
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

OK, I cut a piece of this stuff. It has all the usual pits and soft spots of this type of material. The mineral I am thinking is calcite under-cut as I figured it would. I noticed when I was first grinding the "calcite" seemed to have soaked up a bit of the mineral oil from the slab saw and was repelling water. Is calcite porous enough to hold oil?
Anyway, it flashes brightly at the right angle and makes for an unusual look.
Bill

Bill

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »

Just a photo tip but set your camera for incandescent light if you continue shooting indoors and that will correct the color in your pictures.  Otherwise you can also buy "daylight" light bulbs that will also correct the Yellow Orange from shooting indoors.  There are also many programs that will correct your color temp and several are free on the web.  Often when identifying material being able to see the true colors in the stone is important.

SkySgt

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:29:23 PM »

Looks like West Texas Red & Yellow Moss Agate.  From where was it collected?

SkySgt

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »

Here is some of the stuff I've collected and cabbed from East Needle Peak, TX that looks similar!

Stonemon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »

I do not have a specific location on this but my family did most of their collecting in Oregon. I would guess the east side or down in southern Oregon. Dad was born in Merlin, a few miles north of Grants pass in 1916. Both he and my grandfather collected stuff most of their lives and as near as I have been able to deduce, most of the material was from Oregon.
Love that cab!
Bill

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 37 queries.