Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to wheatguy and his Pietersite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP E50, looking for manual or diagram  (Read 176 times)

katjohnson

HP E50, looking for manual or diagram
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »

I have a Highland Park E50 that I'm refurbishing and modifyng. I'd like to see an operator's manual or unit diagram if someone has one scanned or for sale.

I am converting the two SC wheels to three diamond ones and adding a third drip. Also, removing the left hand dome polishing head (keeping the right one), swapping the tucked strip style expanding drum for a continuous belt version, and rigging the hood to lift for belt changes. Any advice on these would be much appreciated!

Thanks

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: HP E50, looking for manual or diagram
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »

I'm not sure there is such a manual, but everything you propose can be done.  Taking the bearings off one end of the shaft to get the wheels off and on will be the hardest part.  I have fitted three wheels in the space where two were previously, and managed an expando on the right, and an 80 wheel to the left of the left bearing.  My My unit had stepped pulleys on the motor and arbor end so I was able (had to) juggle them to get the expand to spin fast enough to tighten the belt and not get lateral creep.  Enjoy. 
BTW There is a description of how to remove the inside wheels and bearings in an old lapidary book, but it is more or less common sense guidance. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

katjohnson

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »

Thanks! I didn't think there would be room to fit a wheel on the left as well as the expando drum but I'll look it over again. That would be optimum.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »

Kat,

Check at Cigarboxrock.com under their Resources tab.  There's an old HP catalog from 1968 and you could look through it to see if something similar is in there.  I believe this catalog is a little earlier than your machine.

You can call and talk to Tim about your machine.   I'm sure he'd be able to tell you what you need and possibly even provide it for you.  That's pretty much what they do -- rehab old machines back to "new".
Robin

katjohnson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »

Yes, I have the images from the Cigarboxrock site. Tim is a useful contact name, thanks!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »

Tim's the owner.  His phone number is under the Contact Us tab.  There's also a web form to fill out and attach pictures, so that may be an even better way to go.  Take a bunch of pictures and send them in so they can see what you're talking about.

They are good folks.  I've bought a couple of pieces of equipment from them (and rocks).   :icon_sunny:
Robin

katjohnson

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »

Excellent! Yes, I'm planning on photographing every step. Not only so that I can maybe write it up on a blog page for others but also for reassembly guidance. I am a visual type learner, lol!

Trails

• Ever wandering
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

I restored my E50 machine, haven't found any books though on it. Its all fairly simple, basic mechanics, and really well made machines. Managed to shove four 8" Nova's and drill/tap two more water supplies for them in the center. Right disc was converted to a 8" expando with its own separate hood and water supply. Leaving the left side disc to be replaced to a carpet wheel for finishing normal materials. I used to do everything on it as its my original, three machines later, its now just for sanding and polishing. I wish I had another...
Tay

katjohnson

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to getting it up and running.

Now I have another project. Just today, I managed to get a free Frantom DVS!  It works but I need to replace the 10" saw blade for best results. The wheels need replacing before they can be used. Motor and all the metal work are great. Came with the original stand, too. It popped up on Craig's list as a free-to-good-home and I jumped on it. A three hour round trip but I think it's worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.