Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filling and painting Chrysocolla/Cuprite - Turquoise and Obsidian  (Read 1968 times)

Enigmatrix

Hi

I am trying to fill a small pit in my crhysocolla cuprite precious stone which was lightly damaged. I want to fill the small hole and then paint it over so that it'll be the same color with something that'll be permanent, or at least that'll last for many months so I won't have to repaint it so often because I always travel with my stones in my pockets every day it's what gives me fun holding them.

I've been told Opticon could help but then the seller told me this wouldn't be a good idea as for painting it over after.

Could you help about what product to fill, to paint or draw with ink and then to seal would be efficient in that matter?

Thank you

p.s. If the pics are not clear enough feel free to ask for better ones I have no other camera but if needed I could arrange to borrow one from someone

Jhon P

Re: Filling and painting Chrysocolla/Cuprite
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »

Have got any of the rock that you can take a small piece and crush it fine and mix it with 330 epoxy and use a toothpick to work it into the pits than sand and polish?  That’s what I have done before

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »

I agree , good advice.

Enigmatrix

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »

Thank you very much for the advice. Would this work as well for Turquoise, and Obsidian, or would the product need to change?

Jhon P

Re: Filling and painting Chrysocolla/Cuprite - Turquoise and Obsidian
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »

I have done turquoise but never tried obsidian.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

I think being a very translucent material Obsidian would be tricky at best and bad at worst.  If you used some dye in the filler that could help but if you can see thru the obsidian I think the shape of the fill would be obvious.  I don't think that it would be a good choice for a fill.  I was cutting a piece of dino today and right on the corner of the cab a unfilled cell appeared in the middle of the slab these like other Opaque stones work much better for the repair mentioned.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »

I agree with Steve.  Don't think obsidian would work well with this method.  If you just have hairline cracks or pinhole voids, I would try to use the plain Opticon or whatever you use.  Really, obsidian, in most cases is really inexpensive, so I would bother with it unless it was a really rare type.
Robin

Enigmatrix

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »

Thank you for your answers. Is there a way to turn the opticon black so it looks like exactly like the obsidian? I'm having trouble finding big enough obsidian stones that's why I'm thinking about repairing. I'm searching for 2 inch wide ones...

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »

You could use the coloring they use with polymer crafts, but it wouldn't be translucent like obsidian.

What type of obsidian are you cutting?
Robin

Enigmatrix

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »

It's a black obsidian, pure.

So there is there really no way to fill a small hole in an obsidian so it looks like it is as it's black intial state?

How could I fill it with opticon and polymer crafts? Just mix both? Any cheaper product that would be as efficient?

Thank you very much

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »

I think if it's a very small hole you should be able to just use the opticon on it.  Since it is clear, it will reflect the black and be almost invisible I think.
Robin

Enigmatrix

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:29:57 AM »

Ok thanks but I'd rather have the best effect on it as possible. What would the polymer craft be to purchase? Would they be like this one?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2Pcs-Craft-Soft-Polymer-Clay-Plasticine-Toy-Modelling-Moulding-DIY-for-Kid/272519266102?hash=item3f7369ff36:g:tucAAOSwnHZYd0E5

Enigmatrix

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »

The link shows this. Would I need to mix the Opticon with the black polymercraft on this to fill a hole in an obsidian?

Jhon P

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

I have about 500 lb of black  How much do you want? It is very black, no clear spots in it. No pores or holes. You pay the freight and I will send you a box. I haven’t cabbed any of it I was using it for napping

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:21 AM »

Enigmatrix - No, I was talking about the coloring used in resin crafts (polymer may have not been the correct word to use).  See here:  https://www.amazon.com/Alumilite-Colorant-Single-Liquid-Pigment/dp/B007X4AG46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509372123&sr=8-2&keywords=resin+dye

There are a million kinds.  Probably the liquid would be better than powder for something like this.
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 53 queries.