Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need LS-12 bearing source (part #200-006)  (Read 2043 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
need LS-12 bearing source (part #200-006)
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »

The temperature has finally dipped below the hundreds here in the desert. This morning I found some ambition in the bottom of my cereal bowl and decide to overhaul my ancient (but dependable) Lortone LS-12 saw. The bearings have a little slop so methinks it's replacement time. Anyone have a good (recommended) source for these beauties? I found a set on eBay for around $40. Does that sound about right? Is there a better quality brand to look for?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: need LS-12 bearing source (part #200-006)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »

I buy mine off of amazon.  I had a farm supply local that used to carry or order them for me but amazon is easier.  I also went away from the twist type - off center - collet normally supplied and went with a  bearing that has more support on both sides.  I use SKF Yar-204-012-2f and those have less chance to wear the arbor shaft.

Rockoteer

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »

The temperature has finally dipped below the hundreds here in the desert. This morning I found some ambition in the bottom of my cereal bowl and decide to overhaul my ancient (but dependable) Lortone LS-12 saw. The bearings have a little slop so methinks it's replacement time. Anyone have a good (recommended) source for these beauties? I found a set on eBay for around $40. Does that sound about right? Is there a better quality brand to look for?

Best buys on bearings that I have found is :: bearingsdirect.com

jerrysg

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »

That's the same part number that my LU6X Loretone combo machine takes. And one of the bearings is making very unhappy noises when I shut down the machine. Since I have to disassemble the entire shaft to replace a bearing, I'm going to replace both.

If you find the equivalent part from any source, could you post the relevant information here and PM me please.

Jerry

PS Since most bearing supply places have various quality stock, make sure you're not getting the bottom quality bearings.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »

Motion Industries is where I used to buy from and I know they have a network of stores.   I only did in store but they have a website included below.  On the website it doesn't show the pic for the 204-012-2f but lists it for $39.  As I mentioned last few times I just bought them off of Amazon.

https://www.motionindustries.com/taxonomy/Bearings/browse/en

Here is the Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Mounted-Ball-Components-SKF-204-012-2F/dp/B00VKRFETY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508730114&sr=8-2&keywords=204-012-2f

PhilNM

• Global Moderator

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »

Local phone book for Bearings,  Farm & Logging parts have a lot bearing selection.
Silicate life form

jerrysg

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:25:16 PM »

Maybe I'm a little slow but are you saying that the SKF Yar-204-012-2f is the correct replacement for the Loretone part #200-006?

Because I don't see that connection in any of the replies.

Jerry

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »

http://www.lortone.com/pdf/LU6X_130_PartList.pdf         

http://www.lortone.com/pdf/LS12C_Parts_List.pdf

Just about all lapidary toys are made with standard parts! from warehouse suppliers.

Bearing with part no. / down the street.
Silicate life form

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »

Yes it is the correct size for the 200-006.  I have had both the VERY VERY old ls-12 (gold paint from early years) and the newer LS-12.  They all use the same arbor bearings.  I use the # I supplied since the std bearings have an elliptical collet that only becomes a perfect circle after twisting it on the bearing collet male piece.  I never liked that so I use the # I supplied which is the same bearings just a straight thru round inside diameter, collet and all with 2 set screws.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »

Did you try Lortone company? I just did a overhaul on my LS-12 feed rod bushings and Lortone had them in stock. The front and rear feed rod bronze bushings are cylindrical and very hard to find on the internet. They are 1 inch OD x 3/8 inch hole diameter in the center. I did a retrofit- Drilled out the 3/8in to 5/8in so I can press fit common 5/8 inch x 3/8 inch bronze bushings into the now bigger hole and keep the same bushing brackets that came with the saw. Why did I do this? Because in 20 years when these bushings wear out Lortone might be gone and with them the rare 1in x 3/8in bushings. (Note these bushings are press fit into a steel bracket that attaches to the frame with 2 screws and nuts. You can pop them out of the bracket easily though)

Note also that arbor bearings seem to be standard size and commonly available. Under NO circumstance should anyone use slightly taller pillow block style bearings to replace the circular bearings and Lortone straps! I made this mistake and ruined my vise assembly and rounded off the blade nut. The Lortone arbor setup for this saw has extremely tight tolerances so you need to use their bearing straps. However the bearings themselves seem to be common as others have mentioned.

Update: I have in my notes
JIB UC204-12
Brand is JIB Bearings

Other brands on eBay also available in same size. This bearing also works for the LS-10.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »

Good point.  Since the LS-10 is out of production I should note that I make a habit of keeping a stash of spare parts.  For my LS-12 I keep 2 arbor shafts, 6 to 8 bearings, 4 to 6 of the feed shaft bushings, 2 feed rods etc at all times.  Some of the parts for the LS-10 are hard to find but at least they share the same arbor shaft and bearings with the LS-12.  If anything happens to the vice on the LS-10 though it could be a problem.  Some of those bushings are still available but other parts for the vice are not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 45 queries.