Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah rock sphere  (Read 632 times)

Ryaly2dogs

Utah rock sphere
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »

This is sphere two from the Jay (Sandsave) box of 4.  I lost the name of this material which is sourced from Utah; it came shipped to me (thanks again) as a 4-inch cube; Jay do you recall its name?  It ended up as a 3.4-inch sphere due to some imperfections I needed to grind past.  Photo quality is marginal showing a color change due to different lighting (apologies) but you get the gist.  Still not stoked on the polish I achieved to date, but it does have some nice crazy swirls in it and makes for a fun sphere to examine by hand.

Still experimenting with different types of attachments, so hopefully this will appear somewhat presentable.

Sandsave

Re: Utah rock sphere
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »

It's called Woodruff Narrows, it is sedimentary rock from Lake Bonneville shore line, it is a prehistoric lake that covered western halfof Utah and eastern Nevada. The patterns come mussels, and other critters trapped in tha lake bed.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »

Thank you.  That does ring the bell. 

That Feather Ridge is hard stuff!  Been grinding the preform for 7.5 hours now and it still has a few flat spots.  Whew!

Sandsave

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:43:01 PM »

You are referring to the yellow feather Jasper. It is really hard! It will have little voids all the way through, don't keep going thinking they will go away. It's one of those you just polish and leave the natural voids as is.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »

Appreciate the heads up on those fractures, which do exist.  I added some super glue prior to initial grind to avoid losing the scalp of one end.  I am now at 9+ hours of grinding and have maybe 1/32" yet to go until I have a round sphere.  Tough rock!   :headbang:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 32 queries.