Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Before and after -In Situ jade vs. water worn jade  (Read 1306 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Before and after -In Situ jade vs. water worn jade
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »

Today we collected "river jade " and in situ jade at sites about 15 minutes apart.River jade is just mildly schistose ellipsoidal shaped jade.The very schistose jade from these deposits are so fragile that they do not make it far downstream before disintegrating from the recurrent battering in these very steep streams. The in situ jade looks like a blockier type jade but when cut  one can see 4 well developed parting planes in the stone . These would eventually develop into full fledged cracks and 5 separate thin pieces of jade which could then be river
 tumbled into the classic elipsoidal shape so prevalent in river jades.The  in situ collected pieces show  a square edge which is from where the jade was in contact with a very competent schist. There was no sharing of minerals between the jade and schist so the shist was emplaced first and was fully cooled before the jade was emplaced.

southerly

Re: Before and after -In Situ jade vs. water worn jade
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »

Nice to see you getting out and about Frank.

David

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:25:17 PM »

Thanks for the geology lesson, Frank.  I learn so much from reading your posts!
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »

I'll fess up .It was a very long week so Gergis got to walk 3oo  feet and collect in the creek while I drove to a spot where I could park on the jade, literally.

ileney

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »

Thank you for the pictures and information. I somehow missed this when it was posted. Very interesting and I’m so impressed you could identify it by sight. I find it very difficult to distinguish a number of green rocks because they all sort of look alike to me as rough, though very different once cut.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »

I have cut these and others from these places since this post and was stunned to find that the in situ jade which had  a clear rind and greenish color was actually opaque 1/4 of an inch in to the center. All of them. Normally we get a thick opaque rind in the rivers and may still have translucency in the center but
I have never seen the reverse before.I was not happy to say the least.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.