Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jade carving lubricant: mineral oil vs water  (Read 5943 times)

Michael

jade carving lubricant: mineral oil vs water
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »

I recently bought a couple of core bits from JadeCarver.com.  I have a drill press, so my question is that does anyone use mineral oil vs. water to lube the bits?  I realize that my Star Diamond 10" oil lubed saw is so much better than the water trim saw I had, that the same should apply to these tools.

Plus, any suggestions about  any devices to keep the oil from spraying the work area, etc.  I have several slabs of jade that I want to make into stone rings.  Thanks.

Mike

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: jade carving lubricant: mineral oil vs water
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »

I have cored drilled quite a bit and water has always worked fine. Lots of up and down to flush the swarf or better yet a water swivel set up.I love the water swivel as it really cools and efficiently flushes the swarf.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »

Oil would be more efficient but the mess would be pretty amazing.  If you can work outdoors and don't mind being covered in oil, go for it.

bobby1

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »

I use an aluminum pie tin to do my drilling in. I place a thin piece of wood under the piece being drilled so when it drills through it doesn't poke a hole in the pie tin. Quick up and down action with water as the coolant/lubricant.
Oil works better on a trim saw because it is travelling much faster than the core drill would be thus it causes the point of contact with the rock to heat up much more. If you are using water the blade surface momentarily heats to the flash point and steam doesn't carry the heat away. Oil flashes at a much higher point so it doesn't reach the boiling  that would cause it to vaporize.
Bob

christos

• Lithon Choros- Λίθων Χορός
  • Love will save humanity
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 07:16:52 PM »

I recently bought a couple of core bits from JadeCarver.com.  I have a drill press, so my question is that does anyone use mineral oil vs. water to lube the bits? 
 All the chinese carvers use alot of water
ΔΙΑς ΖΕΥς ΕΛ ΛΑς  -
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.