Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slab saw oil  (Read 2554 times)

Maroclapidary

Slab saw oil
« on: March 12, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »

Hi , i am using a 14" LSS , the oil is full of sludge and needs to be changed , there is nowhere to buy new oil nearby,  i read in some pages that baby oil is ok , so i am wondering if using Johnson's baby oil is a good alternative.
Thanks
Malek

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Slab saw oil
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

We use food grade mineral oil that is used by veterinarians for animal stomach blockages. You can recover a good amount of the oil in the sludge and  someone here will know of an appropriate post to learn from, good luck.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 05:44:50 PM »

Baby oil is nothing but straight mineral oil with scent.  It is ideal for slab saws.  I have been using it since I left Colorado and no longer have a cheap source of bulk mineral oil.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

With my one attempt to use baby oil, instead of the pint bottles of human mineral oil laxative (Walmart), I had the distinct impression that the baby oil was a lighter viscosity  I saw nothing to make me prefer baby oil over laxative mineral oil (not price, not smell, not lubrication).  I vote for mineral oil especially at Walmart where the price is a fraction of places like Walgreens and other pharmacy chains.  Both work, but
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Rustycat

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »

I just ordered a 5 gal bucket from Amazon yesterday.  The mineral oil I purchased was $85 for 5 gals with free Prime member shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNI1JH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »

This thread has been up many times.  I use Mineral oil that is for livestock and works quite well.  I paid 12.95 a gallon a long time back and see that it is still that price or 4 gallons for 47.95.  I also got free shipping.  I buy from Santa Cruz Animal Health.  I bought 20 gallons just to stock up.  I use it in my 18" 12" and 10" with no issues

Maroclapidary

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »

Thank  you All for the tips , i will look for the mineral oil used by veterinarians,  baby oil will be my second option.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 09:45:55 AM »

I second irockhounds recommendation.  After an exhaustive search last year I ended up ordering from Santa Cruz Animal Health.  Free shipping on orders over $75 so I bought two cases (4X1gal each).  8 gallons of oil for $100.  It was the best I could do with no local source to buy from.  The oil is working fine in my 18" saw.

https://www.scahealth.com/p/ultracruz-mineral-oil-light-for-livestock

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »

I too purchase my cutting oil from Santa Cruz animal health... I wonder if their sales metrics plot us lapidaries with owners of constipated horses?  :icon_jokercolor:

Rustycat

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »

I wonder with the drop in oil prices, if we'll see an attendant drop in mineral oil pricing?  I did  see mineral oil selling for $5 a gallon in fifty gallon bbls a month or so ago at a liquidation place in Colorado.  Shipping to Seattle would have  been a significant cost, though.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »

the first time I bought 3 gallons of mineral oil at Tractor Supply the saleperson wondered what I was using so much horse laxative for - I replied that I had a big horse and then corrected my statement that it was a big rock saw. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Maroclapidary

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »

Is Paraffin oil ok to be be used ?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »

What gives you great looks is walking into the .99 cents store and buying 120 bottles of baby oil.  People look at you like you're going to make a bomb with it.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 05:24:08 AM »

Is Paraffin oil ok to be be used ?
Paraffin oil is straight mineral oil but it is much thicker than what is normally used for cutting.  Normally the thinner the better as it allows the sludge to settle out more quickly.  It also has a higher film strength which will slow the cut.

Jhon P

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »

I guess I do too much cutting with sphere making. I buy specific rock cutting mineral oil directly from the supplier in a 55 gallon drum. It lasts me a long time and I sell some to friend when he needs it.
 Happen to know the oil distributor, the last  drum cost under $500.00

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »

For my wife's saws we picked up some pails of Stella at Quartzite. That mineral oil is kind of nice, orange scented no less. For food grade mineral oil they use vitamin E as a stabilizer. Stella had that in it as well. For the clubs saws we picked  up four pails of bulk from a local rock shop. He had bought a barrel. It was cheaper than buying pails of food grade mineral oil from oil distributor. 

gunsil

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »

I use used ATF transmission oil in my 14" Highland Park saw, seems to work just fine. I was a Porsche mechanic now retired but I saved a lot of it when I was working. Stuff I got was pretty fresh, drained out for warranty work on low mileage cars. Don't used old ATF from a burned out automatic trans, it stinks and it's viscosity has been compromised. I do use veterinarian grade mineral oil in my 10" saws and have a stash of old pella oil I got with my 18" saw and I use it in that saw but it is stinky and irritates the skin if overexposed to it.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »

I don't know about ATF, but as millwright I have been exposed to hydraulic oil over the years. Some guys have gotten rashes from it.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 61 queries.