Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sagenite  (Read 738 times)

Kaljaia

Sagenite
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »

Crossed this one off my agate to-find list today.
Found a cobble out on the John Day and finally got the saw cleaned, refilled and out in the sunshine where I could cut. I'm pretty happy with the rock. Cut the slabs a 'turn' thicker this time than I usually do, because I'm not that good at polishing yet and I think the thicker slab will lend itself to easier doming. (I usually cut five turns of the saw arm, these are six-turns thick. Very technical I know, but a simple way to gauge thickness with a drop saw. That also doesn't cut straight right now. We're trying.)

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Stonemon

Re: Sagenite
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:28:24 AM »

Nice find Erika. Some great looking banding in that one too.
Those drop saws can be a bit of a pain. Mine is sitting out in one of the barns unused and lonely. I have never liked it as much as the power feeds saws.
Nice to see the sun. We are still under a foot of snow here on the McKenzie and are dealing with dozens of downed trees and the related damage.

Bill

Kaljaia

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:36:20 AM »

Nice find Erika. Some great looking banding in that one too.
Those drop saws can be a bit of a pain. Mine is sitting out in one of the barns unused and lonely. I have never liked it as much as the power feeds saws.
Nice to see the sun. We are still under a foot of snow here on the McKenzie and are dealing with dozens of downed trees and the related damage.

Yeah I managed to clean it all by myself a few days ago and that was a job. I can appreciate the simplicity, but man no one thought through changing the oil when they manufactured these things. I'm pretty sure my blade is a little warped and the shaft a little bent, and it was used with water for the first few decades of its life so there's rust on everything and a couple screws missing :P but it does cut stuff. For a hobby, gets the job done, but if I were doing this professionally, the unpredictable variation in slab thickness and random blade chatter would probably drive me nuts.

Hope the snow backs off for you guys too. A lot of the bigger landscape junipers and pines here didn't survive the snow. They were too short to take out powerlines but my neighbor had one down on his pickup.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 08:03:36 AM »

There is a 16" Douglas fir laying on my wife's studio. I am waiting for the snow to melt to figure out how to get it off of there without further damage. This has been one of the most damaging storms I have seen in my 60 years in Oregon. It will take us months to clean up our acreage and get back to "normal".
We were without power for a week and without internet for two weeks. Really makes you realize how dependent on the infrastructure our culture has become.
We have generators and did not suffer much but if the power stayed off for a long time, we would have to make some changes to make it all work.
Anyway, time to go fire up the chainsaw and get some more debris dealt with.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.