Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Arizona trip  (Read 2952 times)

olgguy

Arizona trip
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »

Well we made it in 4 days, no rush. will be about a month or so. Looking for something to do?

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Arizona trip
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »

Where's your "home away from home" base? Several members on here from the Phoenix area.

olgguy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »

Home base is in Avondale, Litchfield areas. Quite different than Northern Illinois.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:05:17 PM »

We're about 90 minutes north, in the Prescott area. Robin moved here from Chicago.

olgguy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »

Where is the closest Rock shop? Actual address would be great. I lived in Chicago for many years, then moved to Skokie and then to Lake County.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »

No clue where the nearest rock shop is.  I know there is one in Cottonwood, but nothing around Prescott.

There's a rock shop in Tucson that's having a spring festival this weekend.  I attached the flyer.
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »

Yeah, Cottonwood would be an option if you plan on seeing Sedona or Jerome. There's an old gold mine in Jerome that's open to the public.

There's also what has to be the world's biggest petrified wood shop in Holbrook. The actual petrified forest is a few miles east of there.

There's a club show in Cornville April 28th. Here's a link to their club's website: http://www.verderiverrockhounds.com/ .

I'm sure some of the forum members in the Phoenix area can point you to sources close to you there.

olgguy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »

Thanks a lot, I will try and make both shows.

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »

As another 'zonie (Phoenix area) I'll pitch my .02 cents.

Not far from you (in Buckeye) is the West Valley Rock and Mineral club. www.westvalleyrockandmineralclub.com. I just got the newsletter today that there are two field trips this month. This Saturday they are going to the Vulture mine near Wickenburg, then next weekend they have a deal to hound some Mayer onyx at a private quarry. They are friendly folks and I'm certain would not mind some out-of-towners tagging along.

If you are in Tempe, drop by Gallery TCR and say hi to Dean and/or Rocky. They've got the best rock shop that I know of in the Phoenix metro area. They are at 906 So. Priest, Tempe.

If you go to Holbrook for rainbow wood, I suggest Dobells Ranch. It's private property but they'll let you hunt for all the pet wood you want at very reasonable prices.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »

I would contact the club if you want to go on the field trips first.  I know that we don't allow non-members on our trips because of insurance purposes.
Robin

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »

I hail from the other side of Phoenix - The Southeast Valley, Queen Creek to be exact.  I'm an hour and 15 minutes from Buckeye on the I-10 to the 60 eastbound.
There is a rock shop owned by an elderly gentleman in Gilbert AZ about a 20 minute drive from me.  I want to say his business is called "Natural Expressions," but my Memory right now eludes me.  I've been there a few times with my friend Gina looking at rough and buying cabs.  However it's been a couple years since I was last there and Gina recently mentioned that whenever she has gone by there he has been closed.  Best to look him up and see if he changed his hours or decided to close up shop.

If you are willing to drive an hour out past me, head out to Globe.  Rumor has it you can enter some of the mines there with permission from the owners and hunt for Chrysocolla, Malachite and Azurite.  I would do some research on this before heading out there, that would be about a two hour drive for you.

olgguy

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »

We checked out the "Gallery TCR" Rock shop today in Tempe. Nice drive but they moved to Quartzsite last week. So we went to the tourist shops in Scottsdale, just to walk around.

olgguy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »

A surprise on this trip is my grand daughter just began to wire wrap. I had brought a jar of stones and cutoffs for my Great grandson, but Mom got to it first.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 07:04:17 AM »

And another rock and jewelry making addiction begins!   :toothy10:
Robin

olgguy

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »

well it's been a lovely two month trip, seeing the Great grand Children and a fair portion of Arizona. Took in the "Cornville show" where I purchased two Meteorite slices, about the size of a half dollar each. We are going home via Flagstaff so we will lay over for the show there on Friday. Probably pick up some rock we don't see in Illinois. Many thanks to all the members who gave information on where to go in AZ.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 56 queries.