Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first attempt at kumihimo  (Read 9977 times)

cobbledstones

first attempt at kumihimo
« on: March 06, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »

Made this out of regular embroidery floss, the idea was to try to atch colors with some beads. I need practice picking colors.  Also I am looking for a better nicer string for the braid

LithicStrings

Re: first attempt at kumihimo
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »

These look very nice.  Did you use 8 bobbins?  I started with the beginner's braid using only 4 so I am impressed!

I also use embroidery floss, as it has a range of colors and has a sheen not unlike the traditional Japanese biron. The DMC cotton works well, although it is more matte.  Some colors are available on larger spools, making it economical. I do recognize that some people don't approve of the embroidery floss or cotton, however. 

I generally use a woven silk that is yarn-like.  It is sold for weaving.  Some is a silk-wool blend, which also works nicely. I like the softness of the silk.  I buy it at a weaving shop.  It is sold by the ounce; it comes on large spools and you wind off as much as you like.  I keep alot of the black and white on hand, and the minimum amount required for purchase is quite alot but not very expensive.

I do try to stick to one type of thread for a braid - e.g. not mix cotton and silk, unless I am mixing something in for special effect (e.g. shiny colored floss to offset neutral silk as a background.

Thanks for sharing

I do like to take Lithicbeads with me to the store, stone in hand, to pick out colors.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »

Wow, you did great on those!  Kudos.   :Worthy:
Robin

cobbledstones

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »

yes 8 bobbins.  I used the card method which seemed a little mre beginner friendly to me.  will have to see if there is a weaving shop in my neck of the woods
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 33 queries.