Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello! ...from the SF bay area  (Read 832 times)

Rosemaryr

Hello! ...from the SF bay area
« on: November 03, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »

Hello all! 
My name is Rosemary, and while I am not (yet) doing any stone work, I hope to be, soon. 
I first learned cabbing from my father, back in the late 60's/early seventies when I was a teenager.  Haven't had the room to have a workbench of my own through most of my adult life:  small apartments don't provide for such.  So, I turned to computer graphics to satisfy the artistic urges.  But even then, I never forgot the lapidary arts..
Now that I have retired, my husband and I are planning to move to Olympia, WA and buy a house.  You can be sure that I am planning to set up a lapidary/silver-smithing spot there!  I inherited a lot of my dad's stock of slabs, and am slowly buying some stock of my own, as well. 
It may be a number of months before I can show anything off that I make, but I will be keeping in touch, and may ask questions, before then.

Cheers!

Stonemon

Re: Hello! ...from the SF bay area
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »

Hi Rosemary,
Welcome to the forum from the McKenzie River in west central Oregon. I also learned to cab in the early 70's and took a 40 year break.
Lots of resources here. Look forward to hearing about your return to the hobby!
Bill

Bill

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:52:38 PM »

Congrats...  make a plan and be ready to deviate, but have fun.

VegasJames

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »

Welcome from Southern Nevada.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 06:47:26 AM »

Welcome!

Already having knowledge and hands-on experience as you prepare to set up your workshop is great. You'll be able to to skip right to the fun part!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:17:17 AM »

Welcome. The Franciscan poppy jaspers are found from the base of the Golden Gate bridge to the Canadian border and in Olympia you will be an hour south of  an excellent hot spot for these jaspers. One of my favorite places on earth will also be a bit over an hour to the north, Staircase , which is part of Olympic National Park and which is one of the most accessible superbly beautiful streams on earth.Add giant trees of many species  and hiking that ranges from the most difficult to the easiest and you have an amazing spot.Within a few hours of your place the sea stacks along the coast , again in the park, are an incredible draw.A huge mountain looms over Olympia and it has a strange climate being one of the coldest places in western Washington , a true frost pocket.Agatized clams and snails within an hour to the south as well.Have fun.

golden

Rosemaryr

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »

Thanks, all!
I will certainly be having fun, once the move happens, and we get settled in.

We came up for a pre-retirement scout-around last year, got as far as Olympia, and decided "This is it."  Having such a great group around, as you all seem to be from your on-line messages, will just be a huge plus.

I want to do a lot with the Washington jade, as well as the turquoise my dad left me.. (he was originally from Arizona himself and picked a lot of good quality stuff, but never got around to working it all).  My jewelry making plans are to combine our Irish heritage/Celtic design with the Southwest Zuni/Hopi/Navaho techniques of channel work, inlays and silver overlays.  Lots of blues and greens,with touches of other colors for accents. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.