Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer broiler finally here  (Read 1249 times)

Kaljaia

Summer broiler finally here
« on: August 05, 2019, 05:39:59 PM »

It's been a remarkably cool and breezy summer here in central Oregon, but we're up to 99 today. Seems we're still in for the normal August broil! How's weather holding for summer rockhounding for everyone else around the world?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
Re: Summer broiler finally here
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »

Here in the sonoran desert, we hibernate this time of year.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »

Too hot for me this time of year.  I used to be able to handle it in my 20's but now I just melt.  Maybe it is just self preservation kicking in and the knowledge that we are not invincible.  Good time to avoid the crowds in those desolate desert canyons though LOL.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 06:10:59 AM »

A little too hot to trot here.  it's been in the high 90's for a couple of weeks and the monsoon is finally here (yay!).  I can't do the really hot weather anymore, either.  I can wait for September and more reasonable temperatures.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »

Cental NM is running in the mid 90s in the day but cools at night.  I'm building a new workshop and insulated it (walls, and ceiling) and with that and the stucco its stays around 80 during the day despite 90+ temps outside.  Insulation works and with my cheapo Wallyworld fan so do I.   
.So . . . I rockhound in my backyard and move inside to process. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »

Green side Oregon warm sunny mid 90s - 84 today.
Silicate life form

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »

It has gone as high as 70 at my place this year ,about normal ,but  a very windy summer and tree killing dry. The Cascade crest has been much cooler ( cloudy ) than normal but just near the crest and down a dozen miles on the east side.Don't cook your brain !

ToTheSummit

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »

I work construction in the desert so I think nothing of the summer temps.  Monday this week was a little toasty.  It was between 110 and 115 that afternoon depending on where you took a reading, and I spent the whole day excavating utilities with my vac truck.  Lots of water, lots of sweat, and make sure you get some salts into you as well.  And once in a while I like to just dump some water over my head for good measure.  Not many people rockhound at temperatures well into the hundreds, but I'm a true desert rat and I love it.

Of course at the other end of the scale I start to whine as soon as the temp dips below about 55 degrees!  Haha!

Slabbercabber

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »

Here in East Texas the forecast is 99 every day for the foreseeable future combined with normal 80% daytime humidity I need to be close to a fan.  I knew Texas got hot in summer but I never realized what humidity could do.

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:09 AM »

It's been in the 105 to 115 range here for the past few weeks.  Makes for some incredible evenings though.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

Kaljaia

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »

The weather broke here with a rather dramatic and highly localized flash flood event. Moved a few yards and at least one car around a bit- several inches of rain in about one square mile, in twenty minutes, resulted in several feet of water in one specific drainage. Just happens to be the one I live in :P none of my stuff or infrastructure was damaged, but been helping a couple neighbors shovel out the mud. Up to two feet of water in some outbuildings, which left behind six to eight inches of very finely sifted clay silt.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »

Sounds exciting .Fall will be here soon , it is already getting cooler in the alpine meadows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 50 queries.