Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bruneau Jasper and Jade  (Read 5049 times)

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
Bruneau Jasper and Jade
« on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »

Jewelry designing is difficult.  How do you keep away from fads, bring forward the natural beauty of the materials used and still have a unique personal statement?
I'm searching for a way to complement the stones, bring an organic sculptural quality, while keeping it simple.  What I mean about simple is the desire to make the viewer want to look with wonder at the stones, not necessarily the crafting of the piece.

I got the Bruneau from Haderly, thank you.  The BC Jade came from Frank a big thanks lithicbeads. It was a leftover sliver from a carving still in progress.  The last three materials are black jade, purple jade and lab created spinel.

Its good to be back working up some rock.
Helene

Bentiron

Re: Bruneau Jasper and Jade
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »

Hmmm, well, I ah, it's different for sure. Somehow for me it is kinda jarring in the transition from the "eye" at the bottom with the silver "eyelash" below that to the black geometric block, then the amber slab and finally the pretty green rectangle. It just doesn't jell for me but like a lot of my iron work it doesn't please a lot of folk either. Forge ahead with your idea, remember it only has to satisfy your own inner being.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »

Your truthfulness is refreshing, especially when it's an opinion I respect. 
Helene

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »

I think they are both very strong with the only visual weakness being the silver ring to black cord. New style cutting is over due  and completely new design concepts for carving seem imperative to me. There are too many worn out motifs being used in carving  such as the never ending copying of Maori designs by jade carvers. When I first saw the top piece on facebook my initial reaction was Malevich , Russian constructivism from about 90 years ago. But the next thing in my mind was Juan Miro. The second piece solidifies that for me . I find these pieces very strong and exciting with very rich colors in quasi geometric shapes a la constructivism but with the biomorphic shapes in addition which brings Miro's synthesis to mind. Strong pieces should bring passionate feelings good and bad. Strong feelings about design are an opportunity to question your preferences - does the piece grow on you over time. I love the stone work  and the choice of very rich colored stone with  the purer colors on top with the purely abstract geometric design and the subtly darkening tones of the more biomorphic  stone and silver elements below. In gold with a redesigned attachment this would be strong work worthy of a SNAG show ( top gold design jewelry shows ) and the stratospheric prices that go with being invited to show  with them. Wonderful work.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

Your response electrifies and motivates me.   My minimal experience in metal work is a huge hurdle that I need to overcome.  Often I take the easy route, not often the best when constructing.  I did not know if this piece was worth reworking, but now I am going to redo all the metal work.   
Helene

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »

I have been thinking a lot about new shapes . Many shapes I did decades ago still resonate with me and I need to go back and try to recapture some of that energy. Thanks for the motivation. When you visit Helene we can go through my art books  and talk about similarities if not outright influences from the past.

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »

Ha!   Wow.   I can only say that I love it.   :glasses9:

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »

I clicked on something and ended up here after I posted to another thread. Then when I decided to post I got a stern red warning that this is an old post and unless I am sure I want to reply I should consider starting a new topic. Why would I want to start a new topic about this piece of jewelry?

I have been going through a period of making cabs with straight lines, sharp angles and no domes. I sold some cabs to a lady here and she did not look twice at those cabs but it may have been because they would be hard to wire wrap which is the only thing she does. Then by pure accident I happen upon this thread with straight lines, sharp angles and no domes. I had mine sitting in the regrind bin so I could round some corners but this has inspired me to keep trying to make some of this work.

I promise I will start another thread when I show my stuff.
Thank you for your co-operation. hahaha
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

I will try some also.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »

Inspiration.  Making without the pressure of what most people assume a cab should look like or their desire.    Can't wait to see your new work.
Helene

zurn

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »

Hello
I'm finally just getting here from old forum
So I'm a yr late responding to your awesome design

I think outside the box in my designs
I appreciate when I see others who do same
I also like your words on inspiration
Thx for showing it

southerly

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 04:34:42 AM »

Always love your work. I love the architectural feel of this design, and am always in awe of the sense of balance you achieve.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »

Nice to see this pop back up.Very strong work.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 09:33:19 PM »

Nice lines in the piece. Have you been able to rework the metal?

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk since I finished all that I wanted to do in the shop today so I'm just being electronically sociable.

domdeslagons

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »

WOW!
this pendant is just great! I love it!
It shows there is no ending to inspiration!
I really have to learn metalworking, it gives even more possibility than just stone!
Keep showing us your creation, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 56 queries.