Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Outrageous Cab Contest - December 2014- January 2015  (Read 7225 times)

drnihili

Re: Outrageous Cab Contest - December 2014- January 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »

She's out there polishing right now, we just had to let the poultry out first.  Before that, it's not light enough to work.

adovbs

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »

Ok, here it is... I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.  Of course, because it's my own cab, I can see glaring at me all the things I want to do a better job on next time.   :laughing6:   But I suspect this will be the case for ... probably forever.  And, it's only my third cab, so I'll get better.

I'll post the "process pictures" in the next post, because of the four pic limit.  Also, these are camera photos, and not quite as sharp as I'd like.  They make the polish look a bit less shiny than it really is.  But I haven't found my light tent yet, so this will have to do. 

adovbs

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »

Process photos:

The slab is photo 1.  As you can see, I had originally marked this cab out as being longer.  But after I started cutting it out of the slab, I had second thoughts about the shape and lopped about a third of the top off.  I may try a long paddle shape again some day.  Btw, you can see this slab has several problem areas - mainly significant size voids and cracks.  It was a challenge laying out multiple cabs that missed the worst of them.

The preform is photo 2.  I have another cab, a pendant cab that goes with the first two earring cabs I cut last weekend also in the picture. I may finish that in time for this contest. 

The finer phase of rough out is photo 3.

The finer shaping is photo 4.  This required another round on the fine grinding wheel before it was ready for polish. Still some angles and a few scratches/pits to grind off. 

Itsandbits

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »

The cab looks like a necktie I used to wear in the 70's LOL
seriously though that is a great looking peice :headbang:
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

adovbs

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »

The cab looks like a necktie I used to wear in the 70's LOL

Ha!!!  I didn't see that until you mentioned it, but it TOTALLY looks like a fat 70s tie!  If I hadn't chopped it down, it would be a dead ringer for one!   :laughing6:

seriously though that is a great looking peice :headbang: 

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with it.  Now that I've taken my contest pics, I'm grabbing out all my wire wrapping stuff to put it into a pendant setting.  It seems to be to be perfect color combination for a copper wire wrap.  I'm not that good at wire wrapping yet, but it's just as well because a simple setting on this is probably for the best.  I'll post my final product in the wire wrapping/jewelry thread when I'm happy with it. 

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »

I really like this green and the shape of the stone. I think it will be beautiful with copper wrapping:) Please show it again when you are finished.

adovbs

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »

I really like this green and the shape of the stone. I think it will be beautiful with copper wrapping:) Please show it again when you are finished.

Jim took some better pictures for me this evening, and the finished pendant/necklace is now in the wirewrapping section.   :toothy10:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 09:25:32 AM »

i like that!
that is a "slim jim" shape.
ive been making a few of them, breaking all but two.

adovbs

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »

i like that!
that is a "slim jim" shape.
ive been making a few of them, breaking all but two.

This one gave me a few scares.  Mostly because I wasn't keeping the polishing pad wet enough and the leather grabbed the cab and sent it soaring into the air a couple of times...  Luckily, we work on our porch and our yard and plantings are rather new (and thanks to the poultry, it's rather bare in between) so I was able to find the place it landed, wash it off, and press on.   :laughing6: 

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 06:58:34 PM »

I really like that sitting sun scene you are showing to the left of this stone. Did you finish it yet or is that beauty to be shown later?
I have messed up so many things. Either sanded too thin or dropped or flew off on its own. I had a really cool design of a filigree owl going on with opal eyes and then I burned part of it off. LOLOL  Only rocks make us work this hard and keep coming back for more:)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 06:46:23 AM »

That is absolutely lovely!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »

OK, so we're in January now.  Any more cabs coming?   :glasses9:
Knowing i am home from work all week, it sucks that i cant just walk out in the back yard and make a cab!
Its killing me!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 06:36:38 AM »

Knowing i am home from work all week, it sucks that i cant just walk out in the back yard and make a cab!
Its killing me!

Randy you have extenuating circumstances.  Believe me we understand that you can't go out and cab right now.   :sad5:  I hope your wife is better soon!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »

i cant handle it, im going to win this contest.
I want my photo in that spot up there lol!
lemme see if i can make a cab without having to run in and out of the house every 5 minutes.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »

Looks like Variscite.
I love the cab sets you create!  :headbang:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 55 queries.