Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kambaba question  (Read 850 times)

Felicia

Kambaba question
« on: April 24, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »

I've read some things about kambaba jasper. Some say it is fossilized algae, others that it is a rhyolite, also that there is kambaba that is fossilized Jasper, but there is also a similar looking rhyolite. What gives? And how do you tell? Bought a slab a little while ago for jewelry, but it's too nice to cut, it goes in the fossil collection? Bought a second one, just right for cabbing, have an urge to make a bracelet, etc. Thank you.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Kambaba question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »

There are two stones that look alike and indeed as I remember one is a rhyolite and one is the fossilized algae (Kambaba). I don't remember the specs but they differ in the size of the spots. I'll check if someone does not tell you first. 
Here's a bit of clarification.  https://www.mindat.org/mesg-85320.html
Apparently the lookalike is a rhyolite trademarked as Nebula from Madagascar. If I understand the article correctly the name crocodile jasper is the same as Kambaba and its other mis-spellings. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Felicia

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:00:35 AM »

Thanks, didn't know the name of the rhyolite look alike. Will look that one up just for fun. Article was rather, ah, interesting, but did contain the information.

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 10:21:13 AM »

A lot of claims on both sides. Still doesn't look like a stromatolite, though. Algae, maybe. The stromatolites I've usually seen are more organized. Pretty, low key material though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 33 queries.