Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel and Photography  (Read 803 times)

Rock Travel

Travel and Photography
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »

A lot has changed in the last 15 years. I semi retired going from 16 hour days as a Construction Superintendent to 7 hour days as an inspector for a small city. Now able to take holidays we started with a Paris trip with a old digital camera then to Iceland moving up to a used DSLR. From there we did a tour of the Galapagos Island again upgrading camera and lenses with a side trip to the Ecuadorian rainforest. Did you know that a rock is a cherished item in the Amazon basin.
By now my camera gear is taking up most of the luggage or so it seem. To make travel easier we moved on to Camper rental which we did through Chile and Argentina with a slight detour to Easter Island. All the while my wife is collecting rocks. An African safari didn't produce any rocks since you really can't get out of the Landcruiser but got some nice pics for the garden wall. Our last foray was a camper rental in New Zealand where our return was made stressful by the outbreak of Covid.
Anyways I'll put up a link to my smugmug account if anyone has lots of patience. Its not all that well organised much like its author.  https://ybconway.smugmug.com/

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Travel and Photography
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:13:19 AM »

It sounds like you doing it right.  Learning new things and seeing new places and most importantly enjoying it all. Believe it or not, I cherish a perfectly round black rock that I picked up on a beach in the Upper stretches of the Rio Urubamba in southern Peru. I have no idea what it is, even tho I've subsequently gotten interested and "informed" about rocks. Seeing the massive exposures of black obsidian around Mt Kenya necessitated a small collection, but the tumbled rocks I bought in a rock shop at the Kimberly mine is South Africa I wonderful souvenirs (again before I was into rocks).  I wish I had spent $4 instead of the $1 or $2 that I did spend.  Go figure. Thanks for promoting travel and its curative powers. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.