Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What type of lapis is this?  (Read 1728 times)

Glenn

• Going to the more remote places to find gems
    • Glenn's Lapidary
What type of lapis is this?
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »

I have seen this once before and another friend has also seen it before at Tuscon... It is a lapis with a special name but I forgot what exactly.. anyone know what the name of this is?   It is very uncommon or rare if I recall.

I'm not going to do anything with it until I know exactly what it is so if it is expensive I can be sure not to wast any

Glenn

• Glenn's Lapidary
Re: What type of lapis is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »

anyone know?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »

I've never seen lapis that looks like that, but my guess would be some type of denim lapis (because of the color).  Usually lapis is graded by color (the darker the better) and the amount of calcite in it (less or none is better).  I don't know whether the pyrite has a effect on the value.  Wish I could help more.
Robin

Glenn

• Glenn's Lapidary
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:59:37 PM »

From what I remember about this one is that it was rare because of the pattern which is "rare" (i'm not sure how rare).

I'm not doing much with it until I know what it is to determine price of the rough. The slab could be worth either $5 - $1000 for all I know (the stuff I seen was on the high end).

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:42:41 AM »

I've been searching under every term I can think of and haven't seen anything even remotely similar to that under lapis searches.  I did find a picture of a dumortierite cab that is very close.  Here's a link:

http://spiritwalkercrystalshop.co.uk/epages/d821192f-ce7e-4ad5-bf4d-aaa68185dc29.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/d821192f-ce7e-4ad5-bf4d-aaa68185dc29/Products/PS-DUM-YAZZ__06-PS87-S
Robin

kenny

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:23:05 AM »

I have seen that type recently on a Facebook group but can't remember which one it was refered to as lace lapis. It is a blending of the calcite with lapis. Your piece is nicer than some I remember seeing. Jeff Barnhouse Rxcram he is a member on RTH and lapidary gemstone community forum not sure about here He deals with a lot of Lapis.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »

Reminds me of larimar sort of.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Glenn

• Glenn's Lapidary
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 01:06:31 AM »

I have seen that type recently on a Facebook group but can't remember which one it was refered to as lace lapis. It is a blending of the calcite with lapis. Your piece is nicer than some I remember seeing. Jeff Barnhouse Rxcram he is a member on RTH and lapidary gemstone community forum not sure about here He deals with a lot of Lapis.

Yeah its got a lot of calcite with it. The only piece I seen almost exactly like this in pattern had a very high price tag... but is it because it is rare or was is just 1 person and all the rest is cheap... i'm not sure, but I know it had a specific name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.