Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Smoking" Stone From Africa  (Read 877 times)

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
"Smoking" Stone From Africa
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »

Hello All!

Received a video of these stones that appear to smoke when removed from the water. Has anybody come across these before? Very strange phenomenon but myself and my friends in Namibia would love to know more about this strange material. Check out the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLieMvJ5dqE

J.P.
J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: "Smoking" Stone From Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »

I imagine it is hydrophane opal which can easily hold 20% water which it easily releases. I had a basketball sized piece of hydrophane break out of a rhyolite egg we dropped off a mining platform on a steep mountain side on a very hot Oregon day. The egg had hit a boulder on the slope and the huge hydrophane which was full of fire was exposed  but by time I got the 40 feet down the hill the opal was turning white  and it had crazed to opaque small white pieces in half an hour.

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:03:06 PM »

I've never seen hydrophane smoke. Could be an evaporite like thermonatrite, which are found in many dried lake environments across Africa. I'm not sure what is in the bucket, which might be contributing to/retarding the chemical reaction upon exposure to air.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »

I will bet they did something to it to make  it smoke. Maybe dry ice
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 33 queries.