Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunting for blues  (Read 1537 times)

AgateMan713

Hunting for blues
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »

So my wife surprised me a little for Father's day and we are loading up and heading to ellensburg to hunt for some ellensburg blue agates and other fun pretty rocks. Anyone have any good hunting sites or recommendations?

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Re: Hunting for blues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »

It's mostly on private farm lands. There's the rock'N'tomahawk ranch but you need to call in advance. Redtop/blewitt pass area is good for some blue agate as well as geodes. That is if the snows melted off yet as it sits at six thousand feet or so I think. Good luck and happy hounding! 

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AgateMan713

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »

Thanks, either way it's going to be an adventure.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »

Stay lower....At Oregon state park. Lost creek so. of Newport,Oregon  between 98th st. - 128th st.  on the beach is a bench of black & blue agate. low tide this time of year, may need to dig for rock claims an sort out the blue rocks. only aloud to dig in loose sand on the Oregon coast.
  If you know Lebanon,Oregon the Santiam and the crs. around the area has a lot of the blue agate known as calipooia purple - Holley blue. though the formation goes out of the radius of Scott mt. formation for miles. and the best blue agate is a long ways away from the Scott mt. dig.  blue & purple color is from potassium. an two others, brain couldn't  remember to spell.
Silicate life form

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »

Jim, a member in our gold prospectors club is leading an outing on Red top saturday this coming weekend.
You would be more than welcome to join their group.
Jim posted this in our FB group.
 I'm going to Red Top Saturday morning for those that want to go rock hounding on that day. If your just going up for rock hounding then follow highway 97 past Liberty and when you reach Mineral Springs take Forest Service road 9738 just past the camp ground on the left. The parking area is near the lookout tower on the south end of the ridge.

Photo below is what he looks like. you cant miss him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 34 queries.