Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Saw Oil test, Phillips Industrial Oil 580 Mineral Oil ???  (Read 3436 times)

55fossil

I asked for mineral oil and got this Industrial oil 580 at $7.25 a gallon. It is made by Phillips 66 or at least has their label on it. All information I could find says this is a petroleum product that is safe to use except in extreme situations like no ventilation in a small area. If you want specifics read the MSDS.  Anyway, compared to the $12 a gallon mineral oil I got from a different vendor you can see the difference. Higher cost mineral oil was lighter weight viscosity and very clear. 580 oil is pale yellow and looks like 30 weight when it was 60 degrees. Neither produced any misting. The good mineral oil had no odor and 580 had very minimal odor with no foul smell. For $7.25 a gallon appears to be a good deal. The thicker oil may be a plus in the summer heat. No problems cutting rock in my 24 inch... but it is early.  580 is definitely not food grade mineral oil.
   I like the 580 oil but prefer the more expensive mineral oil... Next test will be to see how the oil settles when it comes time to clean the saw. The clear mineral oil settled out in a 5 gallon bucket in less than a week. I recovered 80 percent of the oil without even running it through paper bags.

neal

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Rock Saw Oil test, Phillips Industrial Oil 580 Mineral Oil ???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »

Thanks for the update, Neal. I was looking at the spec sheets for the 580 and the Duoprime 90 side-by-side trying to figure out how the 580 might work. That price (half what we pay) had my interest for sure.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »

How easily does it drain and wash off of the slabs?  Or for that matter your hands and your shirt? Cleanup is important even tho I don't run a spic and span shop.  Thanks for sharing the info resultant from your exploration. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »

It is thicker oil so it does take time to drain off slabs. It is listed as safe on skin with the usual may cause rashes, etc in some cases. Seems to wash off really well with no after smell.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

Well, enough testing.  Using 580 oil in a 24 inch saw proved good and bad. The price is great considering this oil really lubricates well. Almost no smell and definitely no bad odors in my opinion. No bad effects on bare skin and inhalation that I could tell. I am not a doctor, read the public MSDS for all medical effects per the government... My hands and clothes do wash off fairly.

The bad part.  The oil sticks like mad and is slow to drip off slabs. It cleans slowly using the bag filter method but you can recover quite a bit of your oil. I have been using Tide detergent to wash my rocks. This stuff washes off but again it likes to stick and takes more effort than the lighter oils.

Next..  I am buying Neutral 100 white oil for $10 a gallon. WHY?   I have found white oils have no smell, drip off fast and wash off easily. Also, you can put your used oil in a bucket and 80 % of it floats up in 48 hours. Using the bag filter you get some more of your oil back. The cheaper oil is much more time consuming to recover your used oil and slow to filter in a bag. So, if you have time I would save the money and buy 580. If you never have time and it fits your budget buy the white oil. White oil is not "food grade" but is used on food processing machinery.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »

Try using Dawn original to wash the oil off.  Clothes detergent is made to remove dirt, not oil.  Dishwashing liquid is formulated for grease.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »

Yep, I love Dawn but it gets expensive. I cut hundreds of pounds of rock.  Wonder what some of the guys like Jhon and Frank are using... HINT.....

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »

Rock oil 124 from ID corporation
Mound house Nevada
The last time I bought it, it was about $14.00 per gal
Works great, it is formulated specifically for rock cutting

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:49 PM »

Buy it in the humongous size at Costco or Sam's Club.  That's what I do.  Vince has a tub in the saw shop that he fills with water and lets the slabs soak for a while, scrubs them with a brush and they're good.  He doesn't change the water often, either.    :icon_tongue:
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »

Yeah, after the drain rack (unless it's a nice one and I'm impatient) I give 'em a quick scrub in the Dawn.

So far it sounds like Catmandewe's oil and the bulk-buy horse oil are the best deals.

Jhon P

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »

I set them on my 10" trim saw and let the oil drain into it for a couple of days ( unless I want the rock now) than there is very little oil left and wash with dawn. I know people that put them
In kitty litter to drain but I like to recover all the oil I can. I have seen people use laundry detergent, oxiclean just about anything that will Remove the oil.

jerrysg

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »

Try using Dawn original to wash the oil off.  Clothes detergent is made to remove dirt, not oil.  Dishwashing liquid is formulated for grease.   :icon_sunny:

The other problem with using a clothes detergent (and most general purpose detergents) is that they all contain optical whiteners; i.e. UV enhancers which give the rocks an unnatural color/response under UV light or bright sunlight. This was pointed out to me when I brought a field trip collected specimen (that I had cleaned with a clothes detergent) to our mineral club meeting. One of our members always brings his portable UV light and looks at everything members bring in. One look at my rock and his comment was "You used a clothes detergent to clean it, didn't you?" Been using Dawn ever since.

I have been using the Dawn Original Formula but Costco sells the Dawn Platinum in very large bottles at a very good price. Concerned about the UV enhancer problem, I contacted Proctor & Gamble.  The Customer Service rep sent me to a web site that listed all of the ingredients in their products. None of the various Dawn formulae have any UV enhancers, so they are all good to go with the rocks.

I let the slabs from the oil saw (Walmart mineral oil) soak in a 5 gallon bucket with Dawn. Rinse the slabs into the bucket and then let the excess water evaporate which it does quickly here in the desert. Keep reusing the Dawn, adding more as needed.

Jerry

55fossil

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. One of my problems is I am cutting rocks from 10 to 150 pounds right now, mostly over 40 pounds. So my cores and heels tend to be large and tough to handle. I do use a drain rack and then kitty litter. Some days I cut over 100 pounds of rock so the volume is up there. The ends and cores need to go into a horse water tank of kitty litter. The slabs get a five gallon bucket. Same with the wash.

NOTE:   When you say get the big bottle or I get the cheap oil it is not useful if you do not give a size and price for comparison. I state things like 5 gallon pail for $7 a gallon so people know exact figures for comparison. I have no idea what the humungous size is at Costco or the cost so it is hard to compare. I will try to find it on line as it may be a good deal. The large bottles of Dawn may also be a good deal but ?????   Please include enough info for others to be able to compare easily.
thanks again,  neal    still in search of the lost chord and other things

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »

Sorry, Neal.

Costco doesn't carry the regular Dawn from my search.  Sam's Club (which is where I buy it) has a 90 oz. bottle for $8.78 and a gallon Dawn Professional Dish Detergent for $11.64.  Those are the prices for our local Sam's.  Don't know if the prices are different in other parts of the country.  It's a good deal and lasts a long time.
Robin

55fossil

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »

ooooh, that is a good deal...   thank you much,  Neal
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 51 queries.