Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ready to start...  (Read 3475 times)

TwoDog

Re: Ready to start...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 04:07:52 AM »

Again thank you all for the great info.
  Each post answers something and helps me zero in on what I need.
  I do want to do some inside curves, cut some cabs into unusual shapes etc.  I have a dremmel for the carving--getting some bits for it should be no problem.
  So right now I am leaning toward:
  Lortone combo unit--new or slightly used. (with 6" trim saw) LU6X-130
  If I am right...this should come with a 120v ac 1/3 hp motor, and run with just water as a lube.
  It appears to have a basic feed vise, so hopefully that will help me cut straight.

Kinda disappointed that the 10" Covington saw uses oil.  I would like to be able to cut some bigger stuff, but getting involved with oil right off the bat sounds like more PITA than I want.

For anyone following any of the other threads, I did end up selling Bunny.  It was inevitable--bills had to be paid, and Bunny wasn't pulling her weight. (/sniff)
  OK...no getting all sentimental over a buggy...

I want to start out right, but minimally.  Using some of this money to start my jeweler-ing.

So if the Lortone combo unit and the dremmel I already have will get me started, on cabbing, I need to start thinking about settings.

Did I hear correctly that people use outsourced settings for some of their stuff?  That would be very handy.  Are these available in .925?  Where might I get some?

I do want to start smithing, but for just now I think I would just like to make some cabs and put them in a bezel with a jump ring.  Want to make something special for my lady for her um....29th birthday.  I know an outsourced bezel setting would be better than anything I could make at this point.

So yeah...Lortone.  LU6X_130 I think. 
  Anyone know where I could find a used one?  Is there a vendor for new gear that is preferred in the lapidary community?
  Sorry for all the newby questions.
     Thanks
       Dave

TwoDog

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 04:39:03 AM »

Or the Covington 494

Slabbercabber

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 05:20:50 AM »

Any saw can use either water or oil.  Slabbing with water is seldom done because it eats the blade very fast.  If you decide to use water anyway, be sure to use an additive to prevent rust and soften the water.  Borax is commonly used to soften, I also add sodium nitrite as a rust preventive.  There are also several commercial versions.  The same additives can be used in your water for trimming, grinding and sanding

jerrysg

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 11:16:27 PM »

So right now I am leaning toward:
  Lortone combo unit--new or slightly used. (with 6" trim saw) LU6X-130
  If I am right...this should come with a 120v ac 1/3 hp motor, and run with just water as a lube.
  It appears to have a basic feed vise, so hopefully that will help me cut straight.

That's basically the machine that I just restored after rescuing it from an estate sale. It a good unit for starters combining the saw and wheels.  One thing to consider is that with the expando drum, silicone carbide belts stop
at 600 grit which is not fine enough to finish a stone. You can get diamond belts that fit the drum and it's my understanding that while they cost considerably more that SiC, they last much longer. Also the shaft on the machine is threaded on the right side to accept felt pads that are used with diamond paste or Nova pads from Diamond Pacific that will give you the finer grits you need to finish a stone.

So if the Lortone combo unit and the dremmel I already have will get me started, on cabbing, I need to start thinking about settings.

Did I hear correctly that people use outsourced settings for some of their stuff?  That would be very handy.  Are these available in .925?  Where might I get some?

One of the largest selection of premade settings (findings) is Rio Grande
https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/lapidary  You should order their Findings and Tools catalogs.

I do want to start smithing, but for just now I think I would just like to make some cabs and put them in a bezel with a jump ring.  Want to make something special for my lady for her um....29th birthday.  I know an outsourced bezel setting would be better than anything I could make at this point.

An alternative would be to use the Dremel and drill a small hole in the cab and attach a cord through the hole.

Jerry

TwoDog

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:23 AM »

Ok....after much agonizing it looks like the machine is going to be the Covington 395dc from Arrowhead Lapidary.  Going to put some money in the bank and pull the trigger today.
  WOOHOO! 
  Cuttin' ROCKS!
  Thanks for everyone's advice and input from this and other threads.  You guys are terrific.  Hopefully as time goes, and I accumulate some actual knowledge and skills, I can help others in the same way. :-)
   Thanks again all!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.