Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 24" Royal Saw without belts - Trying to refurb  (Read 3373 times)

gfisher

24" Royal Saw without belts - Trying to refurb
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »

I am trying to get a 24" Royal saw going, but it doesn't have any belts.  Is there anyone that has a Royal Saw that they can send me a picture of the belt setup?  I tried to put the belts in the configuration that I thought they should be, but the rock feed ran backwards.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Re: 24" Royal Saw without belts - Trying to refurb
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »

use a sting to measure the belt size needed.

Machine belts wont stretch.

Automobile belts are made to stretch in high heat conditions.   
Silicate life form

gfisher

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I can get the belt size, but not sure which pulleys they need to go on to make the feed go forward.  Sorry for the picture to be upside down.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »

I have an old home built 24" saw that looks something to that.
I would take one belt from the motor to the big pulley on the blade drive with the tensioning pulley
The second belt should go from the small pulley on the blade drive to the pulley on the feed drive. I run mine on the smallest pulley so I have the slowest drive speed. May need some kind of spring on the tensioning pulley. I can't see what applies pressure to the pulley.

That's my best guess, I could be wrong. If some can find a picture it will help

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »

Is the blade running in the right direction?

gfisher

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »

Not sure if there was suppose to be a spring on the tensioning pulley, but there is nothing now that holds the tension.  The blade is running in the right direction (downward on the rock or clockwise facing the pulley side).

Stonemon

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »

This is how my 24" Frantom is set up. Looks real similar to your Royal... :dontknow: There is no spring, you can tighten the nut a bit and just pull the lever into the belt to tension it, acts like a clutch if the drive gets stuck...
Bill
Might help to turn your saw over too! :toothy10:

Bill

gfisher

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »

Thanks Bill.  That was the way I would do it too, but the feed turns backwards.  I'm not sure why the pictures were coming through upside down.  The files were upright on my computer.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »

?????  When you say the feed turns backwards do you mean the rock vise pulls towards the front instead of going into the saw?   If so, is the saw blade also running backwards?   It would be truly odd IMP for one to go the correct direction if belts are on correctly. I have seen where both run backwards because of an incorrectly wired motor.

gfisher

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »

That's correct, the rock moves away from the saw, but the saw is cutting in the correct rotation.  I even reversed the wires in the motor but the saw was cutting upward through the rock, but the feed was going into the saw.  The only way I've been able to make it cut correctly is put a figure 8 in the small belt that goes to the feed.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:35:47 AM »

I believe the angle drive must be assembled backward.  I don't remember if the drive shaft should be above or below the driven shaft, but see if you can reverse it.

Jhon P

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »

Is the large gear on the end of the feed drive turning clock wise. Everything should turn clockwise. It looks to me like all of the gears and all of the pulleys are running clockwise. The threads on the feed drive that pulls the vise into the blade should be standard threads. They would have to reversed thread to run the vise backwards.  Strange?
The picture that stone man posted looks like the correct configuration for your saw. My saw has an extra pulley to reduce the speed of the feed drive.

55fossil

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »

Please post a picture of the worm gears that drive the vise. If your blade is going clockwise (throwing oil towards the front of the saw) it will be easy to see if your gears are correct. I would find it hard to believe they are reversed but it will be easy to tell from a picture and anything is possible.

gfisher

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »

Attached is a picture of the worm gear on the back.  It doesn't appear to be any way to move the drive shaft on the bottom of the gear.  The blade throws oil to the front of the saw.

Jhon P

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »

Have checked the half nut? I have had my 18" saw strip out a couple of times. If it is not locking up the vice could vibrate and move away from the blade
i would open the saw and run it ( if you have oil in will Have to Take the blade off) and see if the drive is rotating and turning the correct direction
Your picture looks like everything is turning clockwise.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 51 queries.