Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unidentified saw with feed gear box issue  (Read 2423 times)

Jb32621

Unidentified saw with feed gear box issue
« on: November 25, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »

Good afternoon, new to site so hope terminology and post are correct spot. Thanks for the add too!!!!

Ok, I have an older lapidary saw 16" unknown brand. The rear has a small motor that is gear reduced to turn a belt that in turn drives the feed rod.... the motor has died and I am trying to see if anyone recognizes make of saw from rear pic and could possibly point me in the right direction for replacement gear box/ drive.  Thanks Jb

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Unidentified saw with feed gear box issue
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »

It might help in identifying the saw's origin if you showed the business end too (vice, arbor, etc are distinctive on some saws), but its highly likely that you are dealing with a rare or homemade saw.  If you can't identify it, or its origins are lost due to business closure, you may have to work out what the rpms of the motor were and buy something analogous.  I've heard of folks adapting BBQ rotisserie motors, but surely there are other examples of motors stepped down to slow rpms.  Good luck in restoring the power feed.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Jb32621

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »

Ok, will try to get some pics up of the inside of the saw. Didnt think of geared down rotisserie motor. I know when it works it is 9 rpm. It just sticks and has to be tapped to get going again.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »

Thanks,  it looks store bought so maybe someone will come to your aid with an id.  However, if your motor sort of runs and then stops, I'd try to salvage/recdify it.  I recall someone with a different saw having an intermittent problem in the drive due to a pinched wire under the motor cover (removing the cover and the drive worked; replacing it caused it to stop).  A piece of electrical tape saved the day.  I'd be inclined to say check to see that the drive screw is tightened properly and not occasionally displaced enough to bind stopping the motor.  If all else fails, take that motor to an electrical shop and see if they can check it out.  Bad connection or bad alignment would be my first two avenues of effort.  Have you tried running it without the belt (i.e. no load and no potential for drive train binding?)
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Jb32621

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:13:28 AM »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did try without a load on it and it works. I took the gear motor apart.... I hate takingvthings apart as springs usualy fly everywhere... it has a small gear that had some worn teeth. Going to try to locate one in the meantime. Really would love to update the gear motor to something newer so if it does this again I'm not shut down.  Thanks again for your responses.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:00:33 AM »

Not to bug you but you may not have a motor problem.  If it works without the load, you probably need to check to see what the load is when it is hooked (belted) up. If you can take the belt of the drive shaft pulley and try turning it by hand,  It should turn quite easily.  Can you turn it several revolutions?  Does it turn smoothly?  Does the vice sled move (measure with a ruler and it may take several turns to perceive the movement? Can you wiggle the pulley up and down or side to side which might indicate a bad bearing or bearing alignment?
Its true your motor may be weak, but its more likely the load on it is too big for the motor due to mechanical wear. 

kenny

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »

If the motor turns the screw when not under a load it could be that you have a clutch or what is called a torque limiter that is out of adjustment. If it does they will vibrate lose after time each manufacturer has there own type usually it will be located between the motor shaft and the feed screw the motor on mine is a 4rpm gear motor made by Daytona and turns a 5/16"-20TPI feed screw and feeds at the rate of 1" in 5 min. If its a worn out or out of adjustment torque limiter/clutch replacing the motor won't help.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »

let me see your pulley setup on the far back. i think this is identical to mine.
I have to loosen & tighten a three step pulley with a rotisserie motor wired to the screw rod.
my big motor only turns the blade.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »

ok, you have nearly the same setup as i do. EXCEPT you only have a single speed pulley on the back.
when you are cutting now. before cutting any rock, loosen the feed motor belt. while blade is turning adjust pressure on the feed belt to barely slip, the rotisserie motor on the back will keep going, but the belt needs to slip slightly so it isnt forcing the rock into the blade so badly.
I also have to dress my blade alot, tapping lightly on the cutting face of the diamonds with a smooth face LIGHT hammer to expose different cutting edges or the blade likes to wander off and bind up.

Craigab

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »

for those wondering in the future, I have this same saw.  The motor you need is the 4rpm motor by Dayton model number 3M098.  I picked up from Grainger closeout for 16 dollars. 

TJBNevada

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »

I too have this same saw...and have to replace the feed motor to get it working.  Thanks to Craigab for the lead on the Dayton motor.  I've just ordered it.   One question for all::was the manufacturer of the saw ever determined? 

TJBNevada

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 12:01:28 PM »

reply to my earlier post....I believe it might be a Royal One saw based on a picture I discovered on cigarboxrocks.com   Does anyone concur?

55fossil

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 01:15:57 PM »

Question about having to dress the blade often....   Have you checked your feed rate to see how many minutes it takes to move your vise 6 inches?   I find a lot of folks max out the drive speed on their saw which tends to wear the blade down prematurely. I have also purchased used saws that had been geared to run faster than what they should. This also can lead to cupping the blade by driving it into the stone too hard. Feed rate is important to get good cuts and not beat up your machine.

Note:  on small rocks you can often get away with running the saw too fast. Put in a larger rock and all of a sudden, your saw jams halfway through the stone or you get a stone with grooves in it from saw blade binding up.  I pay the price and use the dressing stones sold by most lapidary shops. I cannot keep my 24 inch saw running without occasional dressing, and I was never good at properly hitting a saw blade to sharpen it. I just wound up with a saw that made groovy cuts in my rocks.  just a thought
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 51 queries.