Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire obsidian  (Read 793 times)

Jhon P

Fire obsidian
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:26:22 PM »

I was given a few pieces of fire obsidian. How do you cut it to reveal the fire? With the bands or a slight angle to the bands? This is new to me

rocks2dust

Re: Fire obsidian
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:08 AM »

Depends on how the bands run (some are more flat, some wavy or contorted). Generally parallel with the bands that contain the colorful fire. Your objective is to cut down close to the fire layer without cutting through it. In some cases, that will mean very low or no domes. Very similar to the way you'd cut fire agate, though obsidian cuts faster so it is easier to grind right through the fire layer(s) if you aren't careful. Might want to skip the coarser sanding wheels on the top of your cabs to avoid deep scratches which get too close to the fire. If you have multiple fire layers, you can get some interesting effects with higher domes or cutting at a slight angle so as to expose both the top layer and layers underneath. I suggest first practicing on something less expensive (like layered Gold Sheen or Fire Sheen Pit obsidians).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.