Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet the neighbours  (Read 1852 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Meet the neighbours
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:08:09 AM »

Nothing rock-related as such (except the beginning of a new project at the bottom of the post)
New phone-camera opens up another world for inspiration. And a new line of interest is born.
Looking at bugs, and it becomes clear why humanity is and always was able to create monsters to fear.
Fascinating textures and extraordinary shapes reveal themselves, love that camera.

Lets start with sunrise to a sunburn Sunday after the storm subsided.
after the storm by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Found that fella yesterday, just amazing that he is entirely covered in texture
texture of legs by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
None more so than the leg. I'm fascinated by the construction overall as well as the joints
Amazing nature by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Huge Treeborer seen last year. Should get much better closeups if I come across that one again.
treeborer by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
No one home. Empty shells are found now in many places.
noone home by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Nasty bugger. Secrets a liquid that itches for nearly an hour. Caught me in the morning yesterday, and found again late afternoon allowing me to actually see defense-mechanism.
Nasty by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Changeling. Looks ferocious, but then turns into that sort of butterfly. I think they call it a Leaf-Hopper.
monsters around us by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Fly like I never seen before
Jumbo-fly by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
And even crabs become a source of learning. Never knew that the eyes fold away sideways.
what are you looking at by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
freshwater crab by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

Plenty of shapes and textures to explore for future carving-projects.
But for now, my next project should be this cluster of bats. Long delayed, but need to try to get it out of my system.
and so it beginns by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

Its a slow year for carving with only 4 pieces done, but as the difficulty increases, so does the time involved.
Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Meet the neighbours
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »

Great pictures of those buggers, Kurt!  That camera is really catching the details.  I've always found close ups of insects interesting.

The bat project looks like it will be a lot of work.  Can't wait to see progress photos with your new phone!
Robin

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »

The bat project looks like it will be a lot of work.  Can't wait to see progress photos with your new phone!

Thus far, the camera does not make any difference when it comes to stone......... :) :)

Sapphireminer

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:25:25 AM »

Hi Kurt thank you for sharing your photos you sure have some interesting friendlies in your neck of the woods. That must be some phone you have I cant even manage a good photo with a good camera .
Dave

Lydia

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »

What kind of phone?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:03 PM »

Had a Nexus before, but now contract run out, and they offered me a new phone when signing a new one.
They offered all those new I-phones, but I don't care about brand-names. 
I don't play games, watch movies or all that other stuff either, but I had heard of a new camera system on the market a while back.
So I asked if that would still be available. As it turns out, its not a popular brand as it is "made in China", and they where glad to give me one.

So I ended up with the Huawei P20.

dkc.echo

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »

I have found your post most fascinating. Had the chance to tour china as part of a medical group sponsored by People to People. We were one of the first tours in after the Tiananmen Square incident and found it to be a fascinating time to visit. Just so happened it was the same time the British were transferring Hong Kong back to China. Our tour bus just so happened to be passing the great square when they were firing off all these large guns to celebrate the event. I returned in 2001 as a guest speaker for a Medical conference. The change in China in that short period of time was unbelievable. Non 9/11/01 I was staying at the Peace Hotel on the Bund in Shanghai, I returned to my Hotel to watch the second plane hit the twin towers. I loved both visits but China certainly is not the one I visited the first time.

Love your post and carvings! Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

Love your post and carvings! Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you.
Watched Tiannamen from here, and was part of the Handover. Many people at the time thought I was crazy for staying here, but it turned our reasonably OK.

Will update this post soon, as my return to working stone is hopefully imminent.
Was fun to concentrate on taking Photographs these past few months, learning and competing, but stone is calling.
Just wish, I could use those skills on the stones. I'm still at loss as to what to do when it comes to take pics of my carvings. It never seems to come out the way I want them to.
Have not worked any stone since late August, so its about time to restart.

Best regards, Kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.