Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter afternoon trip  (Read 1690 times)

Kaljaia

Winter afternoon trip
« on: December 12, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »

Hunting season is done and it's been below freezing and dry for a week. Time to go play outside.

Visited the reservoir thunder egg bed to 'take stock,' because I've been sending some co-workers there recently and wanted to make sure there were still easily-recognizable surface eggs to be found. Most of the lower slope float eggs are gone but there were still plenty up higher in the narrow drainage. I don't collect from here anymore unless it's particularly unusual- the red/pink moss vein certainly counts!

Freezing fog on top.

The bed is below the frost line- check out the flocked trees at the top of the hill.

Petrified wood

Agate egg cores

Red and pink moss. I think it's 'thunder egg' agate that filled a cavity in the rhyolite. I have a rounded nodule of very similar material from the same location that was free of its matrix. It'll be fun to break into next spring! It's got a nice big tube cavity in it too, that got washed out to prevent Surprise Scorpions but didn't photograph well.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Winter afternoon trip
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »

Lookin good! The king tides have kept us off the beach but this cold has the rivers down  so it is prime up here after the flood turnover. Enjoy your peace and quiet.

gjones

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »

Thanks for sharing!

Sapphireminer

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 10:10:59 PM »

Hi Kaljaia some interesting looking stone there. Wish you could send a little of that coolness over here. Today will hit 40 celsius and that will be the norm for about the next 10 weeks .

edgarscale

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »

beautiful stuff

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 33 queries.