Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: expando drums  (Read 1670 times)

Back

expando drums
« on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »

Hi All

After searching the net for 30 min I have not found a expando drum that will fit on a pixie. I pulled a machine out of the junk that just begged me to take it home. A pixie wheel would fit in the small wheel and my old flat lap wheels would fit on top and the machine runs good with a 1/4 hp motor.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
Re: expando drums
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:54 PM »

diameter and width?

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »

That machine was used for steel blade sharpening. I have a similar one in my shop I have used for years to sharpen knives. scissors, planer blades etc.
I do not know if you can retro-fit it to do what you want but they are very useful when used as intended...
Bill

Bill

Back

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for the input. I did a little more digging an found it was sold as a tool sharpening machine made from central machinery. I also found a users manual on line.
 The small wheel turns at 2850 rpm and the big wheel turns at 320 rpm. The size of the small is 5" x 2" so a pixie wheel will fit in there but can it handle the rpm's? The big wheel spins at 320 rpm and that seems very slow. I could put my old flap laps on there with no problem. I need to borrow a tach from work to see what my old lap is turning at. It is on the lowest speed and is so shot that it shakes.

Thanks for the input.

Bless
Shawn

Rockoteer

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »

I don't think I myself would want to be around an expand turning more than 1800,.... but that's just me. jmho

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »

depends on how well you like exploding expando's.  I wouldn't.

Back

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

Hi All

I do agree that I dont want to run an expando that fast. The question still is does a pixie have an available espando? If they do I might think about a speed control. :dontknow:

Thanks for the input.

Bless
Shawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.