Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: yearly fire purchase  (Read 1694 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
yearly fire purchase
« on: December 24, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »

so i got ahold of my supplier of slaughter Mt Fire agates.
I inquired about a purchase of a couple pounds of mid grade fire agates.

$30 a pound stuff (my christmas present).

As we were chatting i was looking through his facebook images. he loves turquoise.
SOOOoo....I mentioned i have some peek a boo Bisbee chunks 9cobbles) all stabilized.
Showed him a few images.....he was drooling.

Then i mentioned, there will ba a handful heading in a small flat rate box if i enjoy what i see when i open my 2lb box.
Then he stated, i will DOUBLE your order and add a couple pieces on top of it that will "REALLY REALLY" make you happy if you are serious.
I said. YEP! 10-4!
Hen picked a bunch out of my bag, put them in a zippie bag, then tossed in some Washington found rock slabs for him to play around with.

I cannot wait to open this coming order of fire agates now. This Bisbee peek a boo turquoise is retailing for .25 cent a gram and higher for UGLIER stuff than mine.
Im keeping therest of it, Bisbee (any of it) is impossible to come by.  :LOLOL:

I was noticing online, one cab was selling for over $200 :LOLOL:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: yearly fire purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »

I cant wait for Saturday to get here so i can dig into the box and hope i like what i see.
I already sent the turquoise to Dean. trusting he sent me some premium (to me) fire agates.
since i purchased commercial grade last time, I am crossing my fingers the good grade ($30-lb) stuff i got this time knocks me over.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »

Dean is a nice fella. Always got everything as promised.
Anything not given, is lost.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »

i like his services, top notch and i get nice F/A from him.
The commercial grade $10 per pound stuff wasnt that bad. i was originally frustrated with it, then i dug into it with a 6 inch saw removing the nodules from the host rock. surprisingly i got some beauties in the box.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »

now getting GOOD (Medium) grade, i am hoping  get better stuff.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »

I like the sound of your supplier. Can you share his name?   A pm or reply here is fine. I understand if you prefer to keep him under wraps. Good sellers are so hard to find.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »

I live in AZ.  There is so much ballyhoo over Fire Agates all over this state.  Even the stuff in Tuscon last year was disappointing.  If you would share your source of Bisbee and FA I would forever grateful.  You can send me a PM at Michaelb123a@yahoo.com.  If not, I truly understand.  Hope to see any and all of you at Quartzite and Tuscon this year.  Lap. Forum should have a confab at least in Quartzite. Some good conversation with some Lite Beers about rock stuff would be a good thing.  If not, just tell me to forget about it.

Mike

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »

Michael, Tony (Catmandewe) has a BBQ every year for forum members at his booth in Quartzsite the Saturday of the Pow Wow.  Here's the thread:

http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=3985.0
Robin

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »

my Bisbee was an estate sale find. I wont be letting anymore of it go though sorry.
I get my fire agate rough from Dean Laperna (TCR GALLERY) on facebook.

55fossil

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 07:38:55 AM »

Thanks for sharing your connection. Good / honest sellers are few and far between. 

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Silicate life form

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »

The fire agate in Tuscon this year, has massively improved in over all quality.  Slaughter Mountain in SE AZ seems to bring out some of the best.  Some of property is BLM land, and much of it is on an Apache Reservation.  Came across a carver of FA at the River Park Inn site.  Beautiful rock!  FA is becoming more and more popular.  Got some good specimens for cabbing from him.  He was an Apache by ethnicity, but he has been a FA enthusiast since he was a kid,  who was supposed to be watching the cattle instead of picking up rocks, or digging in the dirt. His daddy did not think much of rocks.

Aguas Calientes( from Mexico) at two of the the shows, brought in some very nice stone.  Got one or two pieces there.  Quartzite had the ususal stuff, from primo to "not so primo."   Lots of prospectors sitting at their stations polishing stone.  Some good and some more costly than the substance offered. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 50 queries.