Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ant Hill Mining  (Read 4149 times)

AgateLicker

Ant Hill Mining
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »

For a few years now I have enjoyed the diversion of collecting ant hill gravel and sifting for treasures. I've found two Pyropes and a slew of Achroite Tourmalines thus far.

Lately I've been dragging my magnet around and have accrued a sizable quantity of magnetic stones, most under 4mm. Is there  any sort of DIY test I could rig up to determine what's a meteorite and what's a 'wrong? All I've been able to come up with through searches online would be applied to much larger bits than what I've got.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

VegasJames

Re: Ant Hill Mining
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 04:31:39 AM »

With such tiny pieces it would be extremely difficult to determine which ones are micrometeorites and which ones are common terrestrial iron stones.

AgateLicker

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »

I'm certainly having fun trying! Been doing the scratch test and boy, oh boy, is it an exercise in patience and dexterity. Figured I'd throw the topic out in case there's another fool out there like me attempting the near-impossible.

Thanks for the feedback!

ileney

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »

I don’t know the answer but I’m curious where you live that you are finding anything doing this. The only thing I would get if I tried this is ant bites.

AgateLicker

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »

Ileney, I'm in North Central AZ. This time of year is good for it as the ants are all dormant. In the summer I can eyeball for Achroites and not bother the colony because they are super-poppin' once you tune your eye. The most common variety of ant around here are Harvesters who are shy by nature. Sure, if I stepped in the hill I'd get what-for from the guards, but for the most part my presence around the rim doesn't seem to alert them as a threat.

I say this at the risk of sounding a little hippie-dippy, but putting out gentle subduing vibes seems to placate them, too. It's the same energy I put out when my 2 year old son is napping and starts stirring. Mom magic, you see.

AgateLicker

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 06:47:38 PM »

Just a little update. Went for a walk today and did a little browsing. Managed to pick a few Achroites, an Epidote and some of what I thought could be Peridot, but upon further investigating appear to be Andradite garnets. The latter two I have never found before and was tickled to pick. The dark guys are Hematite but the exposure has eaten them up...

Oliverio55

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 03:15:28 AM »

It just looks wonderful AgateLicker! Looks like a very interesting hobby, do you have any suggestions for the begginers? How to start, what to read? Also is there a way to make it without harming any ants? I was looking for restaurants for sale in Costa Del Sol for a while and I found a very big ant hill in the garden of one of them. Now I think maybe I could give it a try. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.