Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Case knife with Jade :D  (Read 19737 times)

tntmom

• Global Moderator
Case knife with Jade :D
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »

YAY!!!!  I'm going to be the first person to make a post in this section!   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Last month I visited one of my mentors, Michael Hoover.  He instructed me for 6 hours and taught me how to make my first knife scales with BC Boulder Creek Nephrite Jade.  I am amazed at his perfectionism.  He made a knife too and after showing me what to do with his knife, he paced patiently until I could get the same results with mine.  Lot's of steps!  I'm so happy with this though and the knowledge he gave is priceless!!!  :hello2: :hello2:

Thanks for taking some of your time to look at some of mine!!!

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

Minkos61

Re: Case knife with Jade :D
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »

Absolutely stunning :blob1:
Ernie

Ajo

• Red Sky Gems
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »

Really beautiful jade knife. :headbang: Great job on the polish. Jade can be a bear to polish. How did you get the high polish on the jade? Eric.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »

I hope that's going in a  display case Krystee because it's amazing and deserves a nice protected spot!   :wav:

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »

Really beautiful jade knife. :headbang: Great job on the polish. Jade can be a bear to polish. How did you get the high polish on the jade? Eric.

Nova wheel 14000.  Wet to dry!!!  The strangest technique I have ever been taught but it works in literally a split second!  Adjust the water so that only half of the wheel is wet.  Start on the wet side and quickly pull to the dry side.  And...... I mean SUPER quick with pressure!!!  I couldn't believe that it polished to a glass finish in less than a minute if I didn't see it and do it with my own eyes and hands!!! 

Here is a link to the basics that Michael taught me.  Granted, I had a few new pointers and tricks that he picked up since he originally posted this, but this is his public tutorial!

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/content/knife-related-projects-tutorials/mike-hoovers-art-in-stone-the-basics/

~Krystee

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »

AND.........  Michael just got back to me!  I asked him whether it was ok to talk about his secrets and he said "Yes!  I have a jade polishing article on Ebay!"

Here it is!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Jade-How-to-cut-and-polish-Jade-/10000000178583902/g.html

~Krystee

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:01:55 AM »

Because there is some good Jade info posted here I'm going to pin this topic.  Don't want good Jade cutting information to disappear into the archives!

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »

Man, that knife just glows!  Thanks for linking Michael's tutorial, that is a very cool thing.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »

Looks awesome!

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »

Somebody beat me to the comment, but I'm gonna repeat just because it deserves it!   That is STUNNING!!!!    And wow, thanks so much for including links on the polish, I can't wait to get into reading it.    :icon_sunny:

Ajo

• Red Sky Gems
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »

Nova wheel 14000.  Wet to dry!!!  The strangest technique I have ever been taught but it works in literally a split second!  Adjust the water so that only half of the wheel is wet.  Start on the wet side and quickly pull to the dry side.  And...... I mean SUPER quick with pressure!!!  I couldn't believe that it polished to a glass finish in less than a minute if I didn't see it and do it with my own eyes and hands!!! 

Here is a link to the basics that Michael taught me.  Granted, I had a few new pointers and tricks that he picked up since he originally posted this, but this is his public tutorial!

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/content/knife-related-projects-tutorials/mike-hoovers-art-in-stone-the-basics/

Thanks to you and Michael about the jade polishing technique. :thumbsup: Once again, super knife. Thanks to Amanda for pining it too. Eric.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »

Thanks to you and Michael about the jade polishing technique. :thumbsup: Once again, super knife. Thanks to Amanda for pining it too. Eric.

You're welcome.   :thumbsup:
And just so you mods know - you can also sticky topics too, it's not just an admin power.   :angel9:

JRAGS

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »

Thanks for showing this off. That's a real keep sake. Something to be really proud of. Good for you. You have talent.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:01:02 AM »

I tried to get folks on the old forum to try the dry diamond technique but I doubt anyone did . For Washington jade you often have to go much coarser. I have to start with the wet to dry with 600 grit and take it through 3000 before finishing with 14,000 wet. I wet the wheel with the bubbler then turn the bubbler on it's side to keep more water off the wheel then sand until the diamond is dry . A one second spritz of the wheel with the bubbler wets the wheel enough for another sanding session. this also works on some other undercutting stones.

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 08:35:54 AM »

Some really good info here. I am sure it will help with my polishing.

lithicbeads, Frank, what type of wheel are you using for the dry technique? I do not have much in the line of wheels so as I purchase them (probably one at a time) I want to be sure to get what I need for that process. All I have right now is carbide (or whatever the cheap ones are called), one 100 and one 3000 diamond soft Nova wheels.

Several people have been extremely helpful in building up a good supply of jade so I really need to up my ability to polish it. I have no problem with the rings but flats and domes drive me crazy crazier.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 55 queries.