Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A hobby that works with rocks......Sorta......  (Read 1889 times)

JRAGS

A hobby that works with rocks......Sorta......
« on: August 24, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »

I was just wondering if any of you happen to work with driftwood. Yeah, it's not exactly rocks or gems but if you mix the two of them together, you can get a really neat effect and maybe give your self another past time, ( as if you had a lot of extra time considering most of our past time now consists of romping around the woods looking for rocks. ) But my point is that while your already in the woods or on the creek, you could very well be stepping over dollars to get to dimes.
   A lot of us spend many hours in search of gold on the streams and rivers and our results, although, maybe positive and we do find a little of the yellow stuff, most of us will never be able to fund our hobby with what we recover. But laying not very far from where are prospecting of hounding most likely lay pieces of drift wood. After all, your in the woods. You may notice on craigslist, they are selling  drift wood in small batches for fair prices. Hey it's not enough to quit your job tomorrow, but it pays for gas and such.  I bring home a small back pack each and every time I go out. I don't bring home every piece I see, just the interesting stuff. Unusual shapes and most all roots. Now that's jut if I wanted to sell what I find.
   Playing with drift wood and incorporating rocks and stained glass to it.  Making this post short, photos show your possibilities. I hope you like and maybe get a few of your own ideas and please share with others your ideas.

JRAGS

Re: A hobby that works with rocks......Sorta......
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »

My photos are much too large to fit on the original post so here's the last ones

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »

I know a guy who carves driftwood into replica bird feathers then darkens some by charring lightly. They sell very well. Where I live collecting driftwood is illegal on public property ( it holds the dunes together and keeps the storm surge back ) so we have not used much . I have seen folks bury long ones that have a good bend  like an L with the long end down  like a fence post and then hang things from the top.  A trellis for climbing plants looks very good and you could put slabs on the trellis as well.

Bentiron

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »

That's pretty looking work, nicely done :headbang:

Itsandbits

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »

good mix of wood metal and stone into aesthetically pleasing piece/s
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »

Love them. Three dimensional multi medium to me is way better (and easier) than working with one medium and trying to get all the ascetics of art into one piece. You have done a beautiful job of making great pieces of art. My hat is off to you.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.