Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me name this  (Read 834 times)

Kaljaia

Help me name this
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »

It's a quartz crystal ball, solid, fused all the way through. Forms inside vesicular basalt flows, weathers out. I'm looking for a better name than "geode," because it seems distinct from a hollow form. I polished the skin off one side to show the crystals and highlight the pits. Does this formation of quartz have a proper name? I'm putting together a little display case of local rock, crystal and agate types for the fun of it but I'm stumped on what to call this because apparently "quartz crystal vesicle" is not a name anyone else uses :P but it seems plenty descriptive here!

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Help me name this
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:59:07 AM »

Try the quartz page website. I find something I didn't know every time I read on it. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »

Typical of quartz that wanted to form terminations but did not have room. Lots of similar stuff in granite vugs in the Sawtooths.

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »

When I made this post I forgot about amygdules. Going with fused quartz crystal amygdule.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 34 queries.