Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pixie wheels stuck on shaft;- how to fix  (Read 911 times)

ileney

Pixie wheels stuck on shaft;- how to fix
« on: November 04, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »

OK, so after seeing the post about someone whose wheels keep slipping on his Genie, here's the opposite problem. My pixie is pretty ancient. The wheels need to be changed. I changed them when I bought it with only a bit of difficulty that I recall, but now the wheels seem to be stuck on the shaft. I cannot get them off. What am I doing wrong? Could I have built up cement (rock dust)  or rust under there keeping them on the shaft? Any thoughts? Two big guys have also tried to no avail, but they don't know the pixie either, so maybe we are all missing something?

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Pixie wheels stuck on shaft;- how to fix
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 05:31:05 AM »

Had that problem when I got my used Genie years ago.

Took a long time, but it finally worked. Used some penetrating oil, tapped with hammer and wood block, and repeated. Finally was able to spin the wheels off. Held the end of the shaft in the jaws of a large wrench to keep it from spinning.

Hope this helps.

ileney

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »

Thank you. I'll give it a try. I've been using the wrench with no progress but will add the penetrating oil and hammer.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:16:54 AM »

This is a case where a bench vise turns a difficult project into a piece of cake.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 07:45:23 PM »

Heh, yeah, a bench vise woulda' been easier. Had to stand the adapter shaft up vertically with the end of it in the wrench. Held the wrench down with my foot to keep it from turning while I cranked back and forth on the wheels with both hands.

Sounds pretty comical in the re-telling. I'm really glad no one had a video cam on me... .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.