Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quartzsite 2022 update  (Read 784 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Quartzsite 2022 update
« on: January 10, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »

Hi all,  thought I would update people on the 2022 Quartzsite show.  I had been hoping to find a you tube vid or something that would give me a clue how the show was going to be before making the drive, but found nothing. 
I went down this last Friday morning and hit Desert Gardens day one.  Our own Tony (CatmanDewe) of course was there.  I am into cutting, and so rough and slab vendors are the key for me.  If I had to guess the ratio I would say it was 70%+ minerals, Fossils and Crystals.  Azurite guy was there in the 1st isle along with the father and his sons that sell the Turquoises.  So many of the rough and slab people were missing and replaced with Selenite dealers, hundred lb plus Gypsum ball dealers and things that just don't excite a cutter.  Missing were a lot of vendors I buy from in the past and probably no surprise due to Covid, both of the Aussie's were gone (Rough and Tumble and Out Back Mining).  Ziggy's next to Tony had some very nice Swazi agate if you dug thru the huge bin which I of course did.  He also had some fantastic Indo Palm with Orange Red and White and Black cores in rough, much was way too big for me to deal with but got some wonderful mid sized pieces.  Normally I am trying to make my cash last but by 2pm and I had spent $40, there just wasn't material I wanted to buy.   

I went out to the BLM area and crashed for the night and was looking forward to maybe a better day on Saturday.  SoCalAgatehound was coming out for Saturday and looked forward to having some company and a better collecting day.  I was told the new Miners Co-op show was opening Saturday so Craig and I planned to hit that first.  I had heard it was part of the Miners Co-op that does Tucson but that might have been wrong.  At least a brand new show opening day should be nice right?  4 dealers in total.  Gotta start somewhere but definitely a dud after it was my hope for day 2.  I stopped by Tyson Wells also but really found it hard to find good dealers or things to buy.  I have never come home with all most all my money I had planned to spend on rough.  I am planning to go back to the Pow-Wow and I sure hope it fares better than the early shows of the month.

Steve

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Quartzsite 2022 update
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 06:28:39 PM »

Bummer! At least that's how I'd see it.

Most people might say going home after a show with cash left over would be a good thing. But we aren't "most people", right?

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 08:02:36 PM »

Agreed Vince... If one finds the change to throw at rocks, it is only fitting that one spends that and the gas money... use the credit card to get home and then covert the rocks into the credit card bill. Or something. it is always sad to come home with money where the rocks are supposed to be

Bill

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 07:49:21 PM »

I went back to the Wednesday opening of the Pow-wow.  There were quite a few dealers spaces empty and some long time dealers were missing.  There were however many of our great dealers there like Gene Mueller and Pat Mcmahon and so many others.  I had no problem emptying my wallet and filling my backpack.

socalagatehound

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:31:51 PM »

You and me both.....
I was encouraged that a number of new or hard to find materials were brought to the show this year. Keeps it interesting!!!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 06:58:28 AM »

Glad to hear y'all had a good time in Quartzsite. There's a thread over on the "other" forum with some photos.

VegasJames

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 04:30:01 PM »

I did a little trading for some things I did not already have and bought a couple of stones. Best buy though was a brand new UV-18 vibe tumbler. Been after one for a whole now and so hard to find. Was hoping to find a flat lap as well but no luck.

gunsil

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 05:37:53 AM »

Man, I sure wish I could be there! I went five years ago but it was a LOOONG drive from here in NY!! I have a friend where I stayed in Wickenburg so I was able to go twice and see most of the exhibitors. Did pick up some goodies and had a blast seeing so much rough, we have nothing like that here in the east.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.