Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cab King 8k and 14k wheel issue  (Read 1828 times)

Bluetangclan

Cab King 8k and 14k wheel issue
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:01:59 AM »

I got a new Cab King last week. First 6 wheels are great, highly aggressive and do the job well. I am having trouble with the 8k and the 14k wheels though. No issue with the 50k. The 8 and 14ks scratch the hell out of my rocks after I finish them from the prior 3k wheel. I thought it might be a break in period so I ran a rock I didn't care about for about a half hour on them and only got a finely scratched up rock as a result. Is this normal for cab king wheels at this level? I had to drop the rock back to the 280 soft wheel briefly and start over to get the scratches out. Any suggestions?

I finished up some others and just skipped those two wheels and went straight to 50k and that works for the time being but I hate to just not use the wheels I paid for.

Orrum

Re: Cab King 8k and 14k wheel issue
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:55:36 AM »

Break in diamond wheels in sequence. Sometimes you don't see the scratches until later and need to go back to earlier wheels. That big of a skip in wheels to the 50000 will eventually wear prematurely. Probably working now due to new aggressive 50000 wheel. All this or you got bad wheels.

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »

You can get a dressing a stone. Kingsley north set me one one time when I had ordered five diamond belts.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:17:56 AM »

The guy I bought them through say to try working a harder stone to work them in and if that fails, send them back for replacement.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »

If you ever get a cross contaminated wheel this will happen.  I will use either a rough surfaced stone or a block of hardwood on the affected wheel. Then go back to a piece needing that grit and see if the scratching stops.   After I had this happen I clean my tray and hood before changing to the next wheels.  This does cause me to work more in batches however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 35 queries.