Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Frantom CRS Gripper - Updated  (Read 6318 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Frantom CRS Gripper - Updated
« on: March 25, 2018, 06:46:16 PM »

Spent the day today cleaning the new old saw. Not trying to make it look new, but just get that stinky oil sludge out of it.

Have already started gathering materials for a belt guard. Other than that, it only appears to be missing a set screw in the cross-feed and a pin to hold the vise jaw adjustment dog in place.

Believe it or not, this probably isn't our oldest saw. We have a 10" trim saw with the brand name "Victor" on it. The Victor is probably 70 years old.

Stonemon

Re: Frantom Saw - Cleaned
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:57:16 PM »

Looks good!  :headbang:... I love my Frantom 24"

Bill

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »

Oh, good - someone else with a Frantom!

Is it correct that there should be a set screw to hold the cross-feed in place, and a pin through the two holes in the lower flanges of the vise jaw adjuster? The pin would keep the adjuster assembly from moving upward through the base of the vise jaw. I couldn't find any old manuals online, so am just going by what looks logical.

The guy we got the saw from said the arbor bearings/bushings should be replaced. There is some slop in there, but I've seen worse. He mentioned some variation in slab thickness, but if the cross-feed moves and the vise jaw isn't locked down the way it was designed to be, both could also contribute to the problem.

I'm itchin' to try this saw out, but I won't be running it until I get a belt guard on it. All those belts and pulleys stickin' out into the room make me nervous. There was just no other good place to put it, so I'll be bending sheet metal soon!

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »

I have the same saw. Except that I sanded and painted it
It’s worked great, working on may third blade. The only problem I have had was the half nut. It stripped out, easy fix I ground the faces down a little and clamped them in a vice and rethreaded it.
The 60 YO motor died last year and had to be replaced.
What is that device in the vice? Take a better picture of it. If it came with I didn’t get one. Looks like it will get in the way of a small rock or a big rock?

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »

My saw does not have any kind of lock on the cross-feed. It stays put just fine and the slabs come off even. I will take a look at the vise jaw and see if I can help with the pin question.
I have my saw in the corner of the shop where the belts and pulleys are not exposed. I also keep the traffic down in the shop when things are running just as a rule.
Looks like a T-egg clamp in the vise?
I am pretty sure you will love this saw when you get it rolling!

Bill

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »

thats a nice saw.
I like the attachment on the back of the blade.
I am looking for an old fender from a cruiser bicycle to put in my saw to keep the oils from splashing onto the back of my case.
I have an oil slick on my patio due to the oil that leaks from the hinged area.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »

Hi Jhon. The device in the vice is a CRS Gripper. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wZau6pd4E .

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »

That’s interesting. Have you used it? How well dose it work? It looks like it would work for thunder eggs and geodes too

Stonemon

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »

Hey Vince,
Here are a couple of pic of my saw. Please forgive the rock snot. I just finished a big run of Rocky Butte and have not cleaned up the saw yet.
As you can see, the cross feed does not have a bore so never had a lock of any kind.
The vise dog is simpler than yours. It appears yours had a screw grease cap or something on the left side. The dog on my saw lifts out when loose and then drops back in at the chosen location.
So, a couple possibilities. You said that the saw had vegetable oil in it when your got it. Perhaps the increased friction of the lower grade cutting oil allowed the carriage speed to overtake the blades ability to cut, thereby causing the blade to bind and cut a wonky slab. This can be exaggerated by any slop in the carriage.
Also check the alignment of the carriage to the blade... all the usual suspects. Arbor bearings...etc.
Please let me know if there is something I missed or you would like any other pictures of my saw.
Best,
Bill

Bill

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:55 PM »

Hi all. Yeah, Phish, the splash guard above the blade was a good addition by a previous owner. I'm thinkin' it should keep more of the oil on the blade for sure.

I haven't tried the "Gripper" yet, but I was impressed by the video. Both people I know in our club who've had them raved about them, and they're both geode and specimen collectors. Am already thinking of using some epoxy to put hard rubber pads on the tips. The guy we got the saw from shortened them a bit by cutting too close.

Good to see other Frantoms! Ours has a threaded hole above the cross-feed shaft, but the only set screw I had that size was pretty short and didn't hold it. I thought I'd try a longer one, just 'cuz I assumed that's why the hole is there. Since your vise dog just lifts out too, sounds like that's also by design.

There is a channel under each side of the opening in the vise jaw base, though, that would accept the ends of a pin running through the holes in the "ears" of the vice dog. That would add a leverage point between the back of the vise jaw and the slot in the carriage. Tighten up against the back of the jaw, the pin comes up against the bottom of the plate, and the dog rotates on the pin holding the dog down tighter in the carriage slot.

Ah, well - that's enough "engineering" for tonight. The droning is even putting me to sleep now... .

Sandsave

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »

I have the exact saw, they don't make them like that any more!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »

Cool - at least three other people on here with Frantoms. That's a good endorsement for sure.

This one also had a light added inside the hood. Pretty useless for viewing through the top, but it should be really handy for setting up cuts. I just need to add an inline switch on the cord to make it more convenient.

Sandsave

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »

That switch on the front should work, they come with a small hook that you can attach to the switch and chain inside you can adjust to the size material your cutting to shut off the motor. Whoever designed these saws was awesome.
I guess you wouldn't need the light on while cutting though.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »

Yeah, I just need to re-mangle the wire on the outside so it will work. The guy we got it from didn't use it for some reason.

I might fire this thing up this weekend, even if with only a temporary barrier on the pulley side. Can't stand it any longer.

From what I've read on here, I'll just stick a plug in the hole above the cross-feed shaft to keep the muck out. Make sure it's clean, put some oil or grease in there and put that set screw in to keep it clean.

Sandsave

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »

I use it occasionally, the pulley system I use more often , right now I'm cutting soft material so I gave it on the small pulley to cut faster, some of the agates I've cut I'll move it back to the largest one takes all of one minute, great design!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 56 queries.